DME to ABV ratio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazeballdadx

Reaction score
I tried to find this online and in a few of my beer books, but couldn't... so maybe it's a dumb question....

I know there are countless ways to figure out the exact ABV based on the ingredients used, but is there a simple approximate Dry Malt Extract to ABV ratio (based on 5 gallons of water).

Pumbaa said:
according to the Recipator http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

1# = .4%
2# = 1.5%
3# = 2.7%
4# = 3.9%
5# = 5%
6# = 6.2%

looks like 1.2% to 1.3% per pound . . . .

Pumbaa i know that you did not make those numbers up (recipator did), but I don't see how 1# is .4% yet 2# is 1.5% and so on. My logic tells me that each pound would contribute the same number of gravity points and therefore contribute equally to potential alcohol.

I would howerver believe your comment that each pound contributes about 1.2% alcohol.

Just my uneducated opinion.

Here's a graph I threw together in excel really quick. It makes a few assumptions, but I think it's a little more accurate then Recipator's numbers.
LbsVsABV.png

Note that the data used assumed 75% apparent attenuation, a simple ABV calculation of (OG-FG)*0.13, and 44 ppg extract.

Walker said:
Hey, Lupus...

is that chart for LME or DME? I'm assuming it's LME.

-walker

I was going with DME. Emperically I get around 44 ppg when I use DME. I think LME would be lower, but I've never used the stuff to be honest.

edit: Another thing I forgot to mention is that the graph is stricktly for 5 gallons.

Back