Did I buy the wrong grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDeepDarkDerp

Reaction score
So today I got myself 2 55lb bags of malt. One of standard 2 row and the other of what I though was Maris otter. I never looked at the bag until I got home ( I live in a rural area 3hrs away from the lhbs). Can anyone confirm that this is in fact Maris otter? I'm just worried because it only says pale ale. Is UK pale ale another name for MO?

1407808435384.jpg

I've seen stores carry both their MO and their pale ale malt- so I would assume they are different. Based on that, I'd say that what you have is NOT Maris Otter. That said, I would guess that this is very similar to MO and you should get great beer from it.

Sounds to me like this is the same thing of other English malster's "Pale Ale" malt. It's not Maris Otter, but it may have Maris Otter. It's likely a blend of various cultivars, or whichever happened to be the best that year. Unless you've got a super-palate, are trying things side by side, or you're using it in a beer you brew regularly, you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

Thanks for the quick reply! Well I'll write this up as me being a uninformed buyer. But it definitely has left a sour note on me because I specifically asked for MO from this store. It's all a learning experience in the end.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Latest posts

Back