Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Did I buy the wrong grain?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2014, 01:55 AM   #1
TheDeepDarkDerp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Did I buy the wrong grain?

So today I got myself 2 55lb bags of malt. One of standard 2 row and the other of what I though was Maris otter. I never looked at the bag until I got home ( I live in a rural area 3hrs away from the lhbs). Can anyone confirm that this is in fact Maris otter? I'm just worried because it only says pale ale. Is UK pale ale another name for MO?

File Type: jpg 1407808435384.jpg (59.3 KB, 84 views)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 02:00 AM   #2
BigJack
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I've seen stores carry both their MO and their pale ale malt- so I would assume they are different. Based on that, I'd say that what you have is NOT Maris Otter. That said, I would guess that this is very similar to MO and you should get great beer from it.

Ale yes, I'm from Texas!

Old 08-12-2014, 02:14 AM   #3
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1401 Times on 1015 Posts
Likes Given: 581

Sounds to me like this is the same thing of other English malster's "Pale Ale" malt. It's not Maris Otter, but it may have Maris Otter. It's likely a blend of various cultivars, or whichever happened to be the best that year. Unless you've got a super-palate, are trying things side by side, or you're using it in a beer you brew regularly, you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

Up Next: Best Bitter, English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Primary: English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled for the long haul: Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 08-12-2014, 02:57 AM   #4
TheDeepDarkDerp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply! Well I'll write this up as me being a uninformed buyer. But it definitely has left a sour note on me because I specifically asked for MO from this store. It's all a learning experience in the end.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Quick Reply