Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > designing beer question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 03:24 AM   #1
ChickenSoop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default designing beer question

I see when you add the hops at the end of the boil, they are for flavor and aroma, but what about the bittering hops at the first of the boil - do these bittering hops give taste, or only bitterness?

What does it matter if you add warrior or centenial or columbus hops for the bittering at the start of the boil, if you are maintaining equal IBUs?

I have nothing really in mind, this is just a general question.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 03:34 AM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Viewpoints on this differ but IMO bittering hops do affect the flavor of the beer. The resulting flavor is much more subtle than that from middle and later additions but hops with aggressive flavors might intrude in some circumstances. In general I suggest using bittering hops from the same general hop family as the flavor/aroma hops in the beer. Certain hops known for their neutral flavor profile such as Northern Brewer and Magnum will usually work well for bittering in almost any beer so you can take advantage of their versatility.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
cdburg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In my own beers, I've gotten a little bit of flavor from the bittering addition. It's not nearly as much as a later addition, but it's there. I've done lighter beers with only a 60 minute bittering addition, and some of that hop flavor does come through in the finished beer.

Since you do get a little flavor from the bittering hops, I do believe that it matters what hop you choose as a bittering hop. The flavor is part of it, but there are also hops that are more or less harsh in their bittering. Something like Magnum, Horizon or Warrior are quite smooth. Columbus is pretty smooth too, but I think I get a little more "roughness" to it. Something like Chinook is even more rough. I've started using two bittering hops (e.g. 75% Magnum and 25% Chinook) to give a little depth to the bitterness. I like what I've gotten out of it so far.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
ChickenSoop
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Interesting. thanks. I am just sticking to some popular recipes for now, but once I nail down which type I like best, I'll start designing my own recipe.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

There is some flavor contribution, but the main consideration in your bittering hops is the humulone/cohumulone ratio.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply