The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Critique my first brew recipe, plus questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #11
MrRoboto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8shandini View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it. However, if you're looking to get any kind of honey flavor whatsoever, I'd add it after flameout, or even wait until the primary fermentation starts to die down. Even then, it'll be very subtle, but if you add it to the boil, you may as well just use sugar.
At flame out would that still provide enough heat to kill any contaminates that could be lurking in the honey? I just feel that some type of boil would be nice... From my understanding during the fermentation process the honey is consumed by the yeast making alcohol and that is where you loose the honey flavor, Ive read at beast you will get some flowery off flavors depending on the honey..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #12
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto

At flame out would that still provide enough heat to kill any contaminates that could be lurking in the honey? I just feel that some type of boil would be nice... From my understanding during the fermentation process the honey is consumed by the yeast making alcohol and that is where you loose the honey flavor, Ive read at beast you will get some flowery off flavors depending on the honey..
Honey is basically "bug free", that's why it doesn't need to be refridgerated and why it doesn't spoil

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com
MrRoboto Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 03:03 AM   #13
MrRoboto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Well heres an update I brewed this recipe out and its been in the fermentor for 1.5 weeks and I just took a gravity reading and Im almost there .003 more and I will be at my mark. I drank the sample and it has just the right amount of bitter plus I used WLP300 and fermented at 72 degrees. There is some banana off flavors but not overpowering and some stronger citris notes in there. I used the honey at flame out and I can taste honey flavor in the beer as well. I have a feeling this is going to be a good beer.

Quick Reply