Coors light clone i created ended up being very awesome....take a look

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem, the difference is that mashing involves mixing adjuncts with say a highly modified malt like 2-row which is loaded with enzymes that will convert starches in the rice into a viable food for yeast

Steeping only acts to extract color, flavor or sugars that are already in the adjunct, say like crystal malts because they were already converted before or by being roasted/toasted etc etc

Hopefully my wording is correct but thats the gist of it

Edit: also you mentioned munich, that grain is already “malted”, by steeping you would essentially be performing a mini mash because munich has enough enzymes to self convert where as flaked corn, wheat or rice do not, they are “adjuncts” not malt

This makes sense to me. I supposed rice could be "mashed" by adding the correct enzymes minus the additional grain? :confused:

This makes sense to me. I supposed rice could be "mashed" by adding the correct enzymes minus the additional grain? :confused:

Yeah you could add amylase to convert the rice but that point you can just add rice syrup which is basically just rice extract you just add it with the rest of your extracts and go

I was going to sound real scientific but I must have spilled beer on my keyboard and the keys are sticking but you are correct, steeping is for mostly just flavor and mashing is for extracting sugar and flavor, in the case of rice we need the sugar

Anyone can pretty much sound more scientific then me, i failed english my junior year of high school, I can read and comprehend really well but i write about as well as an elementary school student

Me fail english? That’s unpossible [emoji38]

Yeah you could add amylase to convert the rice but that point you can just add rice syrup which is basically just rice extract you just add it with the rest of your extracts and go

I do all grain anyway, so throwing some rice into the mash is no big deal. :ban:

So, most people on the night of our party back in October were drinking my Mead, Oktoberfest and Dunkleweizen and the Coors Light Clone ended up being only drank by a few people. I didn’t really like it and it has sat in the keg since October. There was a weird flavor to it that I didn’t like. Suddenly that flavor was gone and now I really like it. I would dare say it’s as good as Michelob Ultra (damning with faint praise).

So my advice would be to rack this to secondary and let it lager for six months before you tap a keg of it.

If my first brew turns out anything like that I'll be made up.

Looks really good mate :mug:

Anybody have an all-grain reciepie for this?
I have always wanted a coors lite base to add more hops too.
Low booze, crisp- but a touch of hops- maybe at flameout or even dry hops?

Anybody have an all-grain reciepie for this?
I have always wanted a coors lite base to add more hops too.
Low booze, crisp- but a touch of hops- maybe at flameout or even dry hops?
Replace the DME with 5 pounds of pilsner malt. Keep the rice solids and corn sugar.

pilsner malt is really too much flavor for a American Light Lager. try 2-row. 6-row is more to style, but is unnecessary, unless you're using flaked rice instead of rice syrup, and a higher % of it. even then, 2-row is good

pilsner malt is really too much flavor for a American Light Lager. try 2-row. 6-row is more to style, but is unnecessary, unless you're using flaked rice instead of rice syrup, and a higher % of it. even then, 2-row is good
Pilsner malt has a lovibond of about 1.6. Two-row (aka"pale malt") has a lovibond of about 3.0. Same for six-row. I would think pale malt has more malty flavor than pilsner.

That said, Brulosophy has proven that most people cannot taste the difference between the two:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/grain-comparison-pale-malt-2-row-vs-pilsner-malt/

Domestic 2 row is closer to 1.6 to 2 ° from my research. I could be wrong though. Lots of names, pale, pale ale, 2 row, and pilsen. I ran across this when I first started making lagers. I was worried I was using the wrong grain. Pilsen is similar lovibond iirc and since its all 2 row, not considering style guides, taste of grain might rule. I do see "pale malt" is listed darker. From that research on I never worried too much. Not surprised that brulosophy tests showed little difference. Thanks for sharing that. I will check it out. But I can confirm a low lovibond 2 row will produce a beautiful light golden pilsner. I would use whatever tastes best. Honestly, simpsons golden promise is my go to right now if I can afford it. Cant imagine it would make a light beer taste off in any way.

Last edited:
Domestic 2 row is closer to 1.6 to 2 ° from my research. I could be wrong though. Lots of names, pale, pale ale, 2 row, and pilsen. I ran across this when I first started making lagers. I was worried I was using the wrong grain. Pilsen is similar lovibond iirc and since its all 2 row, not considering style guides, taste of grain might rule. I do see "pale malt" is listed darker. From that research on I never worried too much. Not surprised that brulosophy tests showed little difference. Thanks for sharing that. I will check it out. But I can confirm a low lovibond 2 row will produce a beautiful light golden pilsner. I would use whatever tastes best. Honestly, simpsons golden promise is my go to right now if I can afford it. Cant imagine it would make a light beer taste off in any way.
Simspon, you say...? I'll remember that name.
(Ok sorry could not resist the obscure reference!)

Good points. I guess when you are using such a small grain bill the type/ L° allows for some flexibility. I have some "true" pilsner grain i want to brew with soon, but it sure costs more than bulk 2-row.

Back