Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Controlling Fermentation Temps again

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
Cornfed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Controlling Fermentation Temps again

Probably going to Target and/or Home Depot today, and on the advice of some folks here, am going to look for a cheaper way than the Fermentation Jackets I found on morebeer.com to keep my carboys cool during primary fermentation.

I know this may be obvious to everyone, but a simple picture or two is often valuable (at least to me). So I did some googling, and here's a very simple solution I saw on homebrewunderground.com. I think I'm going to:

• Either look for two small trays like this (one each for my 6.5 and 5 gallon carboys) or one tub big enough to fit both carboys in case I'm using both at the same time
  • Buy a few more ice trays for my freezer
  • Buy a small fan

Maybe I can get all this for like $20-25 to handle both carboys instead of paying $90 ($45 each) for two carboy jackets or $50 ($25 each) for two fermentation bags from morebeer.

Anyway, here are the pics from homebrewunderground.com:
Using a towel:
http://www.homebrewunderground.com/i...ter-cooler.jpg

A t-shirt:
http://www.homebrewunderground.com/i...er-t-shirt.jpg

And here's the tray:
http://www.homebrewunderground.com/i...terra-tray.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use something like this with the towel/shirt wick method. I just switch out bottles of frozen water every other day.

This is 80 qt available at Wallyworld for $13. I also put it on a dolly so I can move it across the room or out of the way.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

You may have seen my solution already (I can't remember if I've posted it before or not) but it works great. I made a different lid for a wheeled igloo cooler, and it works great.

I made the different lid because it seems like the original lid was hollow, and if I cut it, I'd have to fill it with foam insulation. Also, when I want to use it as a cooler, I just put the original lid back on. I am thinking about making another foam lid for it, for a keg at a party.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-27-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Cornfed
Recipes 

Very cool!

Quick Reply