Cold crash issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys, did a search and couldnt find the answer.

I made a pale ale a few weeks ago. Its sat 2 weeks in primary. Thursday i got up and put the bucket in the fridge to crash it at 45*. My question is do i transfer to secondary and let the beer warm up to room temperature or will it go skunk? Could i keg the beer or is it to green. The recipe called for 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary one week in keg with Co2. Thanks

Unless you're doing something unusual in the secondary such as adding fruit or some other additional fermentable you're probably using it as a bright (or clarifying) tank. If this is the case you can just leave it in the primary to clarify. I would probably do that and just let it sit in the fridge, or back in your fermentation chamber for another 2 weeks then go straight to keg. (If you're worried about skunking, just wrap it in a dark t-shirt or other cloth.)

Latest posts

Back