Coconut extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrZym802

Reaction score
Anyone here able to steer me in the right direction for a good coconut extract? This will be used in a brown ale that I'm looking to tweak

1 pound of shredded coconut toasted @ ~300* for 15min or until lightly browned.
Rack beer onto coconut in secondary for 7-14days or until you get the flavor you desire.
Don't be put off by the "oil slick" sheen that will be on the beer. This is just floating coconut oil.

If you want an extract you can soak the toasted coconut in vodka to make "tincture" type extract

There is also "capella" drops but ive had no experience with the coconut and some of the flavors that I did have were not to stellar

Hope that helps!
Cheers!

Johnnyhitch1 said:
1 pound of shredded coconut toasted @ ~300* for 15min or until lightly browned.
Rack beer onto coconut in secondary for 7-14days or until you get the flavor you desire.
Don't be put off by the "oil slick" sheen that will be on the beer. This is just floating coconut oil.

If you want an extract you can soak the toasted coconut in vodka to make "tincture" type extract

There is also "capella" drops but ive had no experience with the coconut and some of the flavors that I did have were not to stellar

Hope that helps!
Cheers!

This does help, and I was possibly going this way, but the last time I made this beer, it was lacking any head - pretty sure it was my fault in the priming addition. I kinda want to stay away from another headless attempt which I hear the coconut oils do...

Back