CO2 bubbles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shonsblktnktp

Reaction score
It's a wheat beer, been in primary about 19 days, gravity has been stable last three days. Getting ready to bottle. From all the infection pictures I've seen, I am sure it is just CO2 bubbles, but would like second opinion. This is only my second batch. I used Bavarian Wheat DME, Hallertau hops and Safbrew WB-06, fermentation was kept between 66-68F degrees. Thanks for any input.....

image-4062623966.jpg

It could be from the wb-06. I got crud on my s-33 and t-58.My hefe had some scaley white stuff.I was also reusing packs of yeast and putting them in the fridge never had a problem till i started doing it with the estery yeasts. If that was a source.
It could be off gassing but it may start getting a film on top,let it go and see what happens a little longer,maybe

Same as jonmohno, I'd say it's just CO2 off-gassing but if you start to see bridges between the bubbles or a film you likely have an infection. But you can just let it go and make yourself a Berliner Weiss

Yea, even if it was the beginnings of an infection (doesn't really look like it that much) the only thing to do at this point is to rack from underneath it and bottle it up. It's probably fine.

I understand how it looks suspicious to you - spoon of some of the scum, smell and taste it: if its sour, or otherwise off, it may be infected. Even so it may still be worth bottling as a sour beer.

Just keep an eye on those when they carb up stick them in the fridge when you think they taste good. This reminds me of my hefe i tried tonight i was suspious of the film i got in it but bottled it 3 months ago sitting around 60 ish deg. No gusher and i even verified it in my hydrometer to see if it had gotten lower if it were infected.It was the same FG as when i bottled it. Anybody know how much it would have to drop to be a bottle bomb? Like say if it finished at 1.010 how much more could it drop with an infection before blowing?

Unibrow said:
What is your fermenter? Is that a blue bucket?

For the first week, it sat in a water bath, using frozen water bottles to keep it at 66, after first week, stopped putting frozen bottles on, the water kept it at 68. The blue you see is the paint in the bathroom wall......it was painted while I was deployed, not my choice.

I noticed some leaves from hop cones floating in there too. I think it's just a bit of funk from the krausen that didn't get stuck to the sides of the fermenter.

Back