cleaned airlock...now not bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyellz

Reaction score
I started my first homebrew batch of porter a couple days ago. It was bubbling away pretty hard and some gunk got into the airlock. I took out the airlock to clean and sanitize it, but when i replaced it, bubbling stopped. Seems weird that it would go from bubbling more than once a second to no bubbling at all. Have I messed something up? any advice appreciated.

It could also be that you don't have a complete seal between your airlock and your fermentor. You might try pushing it down a little more. Haha be careful though....my first batch of brew I pushed the rubber grommet into my bucket. Didn't hurt anything but it sure was annoying.

it has been more than 12 hours and still no bubbling. the seal looks pretty tight.

Nothing to worry about - airlock activity is the least accurate sign of fermetation. It's all good, just let it be and plan your next batch.

Cheers!

Fermentation started as indicated by the blow off in the airlock. Don't worry the brew is still fermenting. Airlock activity means nothing.

Just step back and let the yeast do its thing for a couple more weeks, check the gravity ( the only sure sign of fermentation) and if it is stable for a few days, bottle it up. age for 3 weeks.....enjoy.

You said you started the batch a couple of days ago. So by the time you let the pressure off removing it to clean,it must've been about done with initial fermentation. Now slowly fermenting down to FG. Normal process.

Back