Caribou Slobber Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeAliceBrewery

Reaction score
This may just be a beginner question in general...but I would like to know if the way I have the setup in the picture will work. Just got it cooked and in the Carboy today....thanks in advance folks....

20140125_155820.jpg

Why are you keeping it in the box? The box will trap heat from fermentation that you want to allow escape.

The box is a good idea to keep light out. Sunlight especially but also some artificial light can "skunk" your beer.

But what will the temperature of the wort get to while fermenting. You will want to keep the fermentation temperatures in the low to mid sixties. Fermenting wort can produce temperatures 5 - 10 degrees above the surrounding air temperature. Look into swamp coolers if that it a heated room, if not you may need to warm it up.

I read on this forum to keep it in the dark...current temp is 64. Sounds like I am doing this wrong....ugghhh. Help please.

I just throw a dark t-shirt over the carboy to keep light out. Is that the cold air return bottom right on pic 1? Can you measure air temp in that spot .. or better yet, do you have a fermometer on the FV itself?

That is a just a box fan....thought I would use it if need be. Temp of Carboy is holding at 64...thus far.

Back