Carboy rubber stopper fell in.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iglehart

Reaction score
So I guess I bought the wrong size rubber stopper, when I pushed it, it fell into the carboy with beer. Fortunately I sanitized it, but now how do I get it out?

So I guess I bought the wrong size rubber stopper, when I pushed it, it fell into the carboy with beer. Fortunately I sanitized it, but now how do I get it out?

This happened to me on my second brew.... now I quickly panicked... sanitized another fermenter and racked to it... beer turned out fine... BUT I was told by many.. that it would have been fine just to leave the stopper in there during fermentation and get it out after bottling....

I was told I could use sanitized aluminum foil to cover the carboy until I had another stopper.

I'd just wait til you transfer/bottle.

If you are worried you could transfer right now

I'm honestly not sure if that would impart any flavor in the beer

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, not worried about it in there. I am just tring to figure out how to get it out when the beer is done. I have plenty of stoppers.

It was a tight fit, not sure it will come out easy.

Yeah, not worried about it in there. I am just tring to figure out how to get it out when the beer is done. I have plenty of stoppers.

It was a tight fit, not sure it will come out easy.

If it's a stopper with a hole, then it is pretty easy to grab with a screwdriver and pull out the top... if it doesn't have a hole, then maybe some needle nose pliers would work.

you can forward to about 2:30 in and it shows how to get it out.

Very easy. I did it once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, it's easy to get out. Like the video above- just insert a plastic bag, tilt the carboy so that the stopper is under part of the bag, and put the plastic bag around the carboy opening. Blow into the bag, and pull out the bag and the stopper, letting some of the air out as it gets through.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL1ovAYtKuQ[/ame]

It's the "wine bottle trick"- that's how I get a cork out from inside a wine bottle also.

Thanks, I will try it in a week or 10 days after transfering my Guinness clone.

Learn something new all the time. My son pushed a stopped in before. Upon racking we used a coat hanger through the hole to remove it.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

Been there done that, switched to universal stopper and haven't had the problem since. Shouldered stopper works so much better.

Latest posts

Back