Canned kits batch size question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolaPete

Reaction score
Anyone here have experience with pre-hopped canned kits? Specifically Munton's kits? The directions say the kits make a 6 gallon batch, but this seems to me like it would make a very light beer if only made with the (1) 3.3 lb canned extract that comes with the kit and 2.2lbs of corn sugar or DME. Do most people deviate from the directions and only make a 5 gallon batch when using these kits?

You could cut it to 5 gallons,sure. But you have to remember that they're designed to produce 6.072 USG,or 23L. They are not 5 gallon kits where they're just telling you to add more water. I've used a lot of Cooper's cans with 3lb bags of Munton's plain DME's & varying amounts of hops. They're generally in the 1.046-1.055 OG range. The can & sugar generally go 1.040-1,046 on the OG. See my recipes for some ways to use canned pre-hopped LME's. Just sub the Munton's cans & have fun.

Union, I checked out your recipes, they look neat! I'm curious, Are you adding more DME than what the directions call for?

Directions? We don't need no stinking directions! :D
Seriously though,I got used to how much of what to use,& just use my imagination tempered by knowledge & common sense.

Haha, I know you can deviate and use your imagination, that's the fun part! I'm just asking because we just started to sell these kits at my store and since they are a new product for us I want to make sure I give good advice on how they will turn out if you follow the directions to the "T" and what will happen if you deviate from the directions. I am just used to using 6.6lbs of extract LME for a 5 gal batch so when I see a lesser amount of extract for a 6 gal batch it makes me wonder how flavorful it will be. Even the Muntons Irish stout kit only lists an OG 1.036-1.040 which seems very light to me.

Take the irish stout can,add a 3lb bag of plain amber DME. Half the DME in the partial boil of 2.5-3.5 gallons of water. Add some hops to balance the malts out again. Maybe an ounce each of fuggle & East kent Golding as flavor additions at 20 minutes left & 10 minutes. Add the remaining DME & all the LME at flame out,stir well to dissolve,cover & steep a few minutes. Working quickly,the boiled wort is still very hot,& since pasteurization happens about 162F,bob's your uncle. That should give an OG of 1.046-1.050 on average.

Back