Can I use a 5 gallon carboy for my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codym

Reaction score
I have my first lager under way. I made a 1 gallon starter for it about a week ago and the only thing I had that would work is a 5 gallon carboy. I put it in there sanitized everything and added airlock. I am steeping the grains right now and brought the starter from 50 F room and am warming to room temp. I think there may be mold I noticed small spots on the side of the carboy. They are white. My question is can you use too large of container to make a starter?

I should of done that first thing. Instead I shook it to see if they would go away and they did. I think I'm going to use it. After looking at some of the other threads regarding white spots it seems that it was likely yeast colonies.

Sounds like a brilliant way to get a starter going and evenly distribute and mix, I may do this for my next batch. Thanks for the idea!

Back