Can i pitch with store bought dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to this too and had the same question as you earlier tonight when I was brewing a vienna lager. Basically what I found online is that it's probably best to rehydrate the yeast before you add it to the wort. It's all explained in the following video. Maybe someone more experienced can shed some more light on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Different dry yeast brands have different guidelines on the packaging. I usually follow their directions but if I'm not caring that brewday (which is often the case) I just pitch directly into the wort when it's at temp. I've done this successfully with S-05, S-04, Windsor, Nottingham, Red Star Champagne and Montrachet, and probably a few others.

Edit: Oh, yeah, what Clonefan94 said. I guess I don't know if you mean grocery store yeast or brewstore yeast.

I think most of use who use dry yeast get it from a store, rib rib:). Anyhow, if you mean something like Fleischmann's yeast for baking bread, there are better choices to be found online or at a homebrew supply store. There are some recipes such as Joe's Ancient Orange Mead which calls for bread yeast and it works well but for beer not so much...cheers

its fleshmans or something like that.

I messed around chasing that idea a while back myself. There are some recipes out there for making beer with baker's yeast. I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth chasing the idea very far.

Brewer's yeast has a much higher alcohol tolerance than baker's yeast. And brewer's yeasts (there are dozens) have been through a lot of development so they'll make decent tasting beer with an acceptable alcohol content.

It's sort of like asking if you can use a Dachsund to hunt ducks. Yeah, you might be able to make it work. But you'd be a lot more satisfied with the performance of a Labrador Retriever.

Cheers!

Back