Campden Instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
All -
Try as I might I seem to have a problem getting just how to use campden. Most of my searches discuss its use in wine, killing yeast, etc.

I am trying to use it to get rid of chlorine in my water.

Can I get some guidance on (a) how many to use (b) how (c) for how long, etc.

Thanks!

Hi again Jason. The info is there in the Wiki. Tons of good info there & it's a great resource.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Campden_tablets

However, when used only for the purpose of dechlorinating tap water before brewing, 1 tablet will effectively treat 20 gallons of water

All you need to do is fill up a 5 or 6 gallon bucket and crush 1/4 to 1/2 tablet. Add it to the water, stir in & allow it to sit for a few minutes. Good luck with it.

Thanks again XX, I read that before... and now... It still didnt mention how long to let it sit... or how long until it wont kill the yeast.

So, 1/4 or 1/2 a tablet for a few minutes makes sense.

No need to worry about it killing the yeast?

Thanks, spring.

I am an extract brewer... So I try to boil as much as I can but it is usually ~3 gallons or so... meaning I will be adding it to 2 gall of water in the carboy.

Can I just crush a tablet and dissolve it into the carboy and use it right away? No worries with it killing the yeast?

Thanks

I don't see a problem ,if you are concerned you can do it anytime even hours before the chlorine wont reaper if it sits

what I would do is treat all your water prior to boil you don't want chlorine in the boil either. I do it the morning of the brew as i am setting everything up

Back