Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing with the kettle lid on?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Reymez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing with the kettle lid on?

I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't brew/boil with the kettle lid on. Is there any truth to that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
RoughandReadyRanch
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yes, don't do it. Boiling is where you drive off all the lovely garbage you don't want in your beer. Leaving the lid on at boil allows for those compounds that were going to be carried off in the steam to settle back down in you wort never escaping and leaving you with crappy wort. Leave the lid off. If you can't get a truly vigorous boil without it you need to take a large bowl or the same diameter as you pot. Cut a 2-3in diameter hole in the top. Bend the edges to make a little stack if you want to be pretty and them clam or rest that on you kettle to help increase the boil intensity. BUT NEVER COVER THE BOIL!!!!!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
derbycitybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reymez View Post
I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't brew/boil with the kettle lid on. Is there any truth to that?
Never come your boil. Will be loaded with DMS if you do. Which taste like ****. Cheers

Old 09-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

To clarify what the two posters above me said, yes, you do want to maintain a boil with the lid off. This will allow any DMS precursors to boil off. DMS is likened to a creamed corn taste. There are many threads regarding this subject on the forum if you wish to learn more. Just perform a search for DMS.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
RoughandReadyRanch
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyBuddha View Post
To clarify what the two posters above me said, yes, you do want to maintain a boil with the lid off. This will allow any DMS precursors to boil off. DMS is likened to a creamed corn taste. There are many threads regarding this subject on the forum if you wish to learn more. Just perform a search for DMS.
DMS is just one of the things. It is a big one but you hardly just smell DMS when you boil. If you did, most wives would say the kitchen smelled of canned corn and not give so many smucks on here such a hard time on brew day. DMS has its place in beer. It's called rolling rock, but there are far better methods of obtaining DMS character if one desired. I agree with you on that the OP should try a bit more research and wonder if this was not a Trolling thread given the lack of posts. Not sure in the years I have been doing this I have ever heard of covering the boil.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 544 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyBuddha View Post
You can have the lid on your boil kettle to bring it to a quick boil, then remove the lid. I leave the lid partially on to maintain a rolling boil with less heat applied to the bottom of the kettle. May reduce the scorching potential of LME. I do stay by the kettle through the entire boil. I will periodically stir and wipe the condensation from the underside of the lid which may contain the precursors for DMS.

Standing by a kettle for an hour is not really wasted time. I'll have two homebrews during that time.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
boydster
Round Earther
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 747 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 600

I may be wrong... but I seem to recollect that it is only with AG/PM brewing that you needto keep the cover off the brew kettle. If you are extract brewing, you should leave the cover off to prevent boil overs, but I don't think it is absolutely necessary.

Edit: Yeah, pretty sure this is the case. See here, or do a search and find other sources that also confirm. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/late...ns-dms-405392/

Old 09-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 544 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydsbitchinbrews View Post
I may be wrong... but I seem to recollect that it is only with AG/PM brewing that you needto keep the cover off the brew kettle. If you are extract brewing, you should leave the cover off to prevent boil overs, but I don't think it is absolutely necessary.
I did some searching awhile ago. Can't remember which site I found this information in. In their FAQ they said, with LME, the precursors to DMS are driven off in production. However, the re-boiling of LME will create more of the precusors to DMS.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
boydster
Round Earther
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 747 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 600

Interesting. I wonder if that is the same case with DME? I would guess it must be, but I haven't encountered it. Then again I leave the cover off once I get the pot up to a boil because if I don't, it boils over rather quickly. Still though, I do a lot of late extract additions (where there presumably wouldn't be enough boil time to drive off much of the DMS or precursors) with either Briess Golden Light or Pilsen, and I haven't run into any problems yet.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
RoughandReadyRanch
Recipes 

I will leave it at this. If you get a vigorous boil then you should not have anything on your pot. This is the exact advice you will receive from Dr. Lewis and Dr. Bamforth at UC Davis. If you are not getting a vigorous boil then you have other issues to deal with. If you are brewing in a location in which things are flying into you beer, make a column or smoke stack to allow for venting. Or say screw it all and try it yourself. Who cares really. You are not trying to sell it and you may like DMS so cover that sh!t up and see what happens. Good Luck

Quick Reply