Brewing a bigger Belgian: constraints

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtb178

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm looking to brew a Belgian-style ale, giving it time to age before the end of the winter. I'm looking to make something in the vein of Westmalle tripel, Houblon Chouffe, or Duvel.

Here's the problem. I have a large 10 gallon aluminum brew kettle, but I can only cook on the stove. (Sadly, no chance of a propane cooker any time soon.) Up to now, I've had success brewing partial boils (no more than 4 gallons pre-boil volume), but I have never heard of any of those styles of Belgian beer (tripel, IPA, Belgian Strong Golden) being made partial boil. For some reason, a partial boil of a strong Belgian-style strikes me as a bad idea.

So, what should I do? My options appear thus:

1. BIAB Half Batch. This seems the most reasonable. How much water would I need for these--4 gallons pre-boil, or more? Probably BIAB might be best? What are people's thoughts here? My only hesitation is the basic one: half product for full effort. I think that might be the wrong way to think about it.

2. Partial Mash Half Batch. Is one of the above styles more or less amenable to a partial mash? I know that Duvel is a rather basic recipe. Would that make it a good option for PM brewing?

3. Partial Boil: Has anyone had success with a partial boil of a Big Belgian?

Finally, does anyone have any suggestions for a relatively simple recipe for any of these Belgian styles?

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, partial boil should be fine. Also, if you have another large pot suitable for brewing, you could split the boil between two pots as long as you measure out your hop (and other) additions proportionally. It's all going in the same fermenting vessel anyhow, right?

Back