Brew beer without malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams

Reaction score
Hi I have a question I want to brew a experimental beer take a 500 grams of grain do a quick 30 min of mash then replace a malt extract for a jam or something else any suggestion ? Then boil it for half a hour, Can some one tell me what the finals product will be ?
Thanks for answer !

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wine with a little bit of malty/hoppy flavor?

Not really sure what you would get using jam. My only suggestion would be to make sure there are no preservatives in the jam if you are going to do this. There are certain types of preservatives that are out there, who's sole purpose is to keep things like yeast from growing.

I would think you would have better results with this, by using your preferred fruit juice as a base, instead of jam.

What exactly is the purpose of your experiment? You haven't listed a full procedure for making anything really... if you want a realistic constructive critism a real recipe you intend to follow with water used, yeast etc.

1. If you are mashing grain, adding jam and boiling all you are making is sweetened jam water, which probably won't be anything.
2. If you ferment the above, then you are making a gross fermented beverage, probably with no balance as you haven't mentioned the use of hops or any other bittering ingredients. Since you didn't mention volumes, it could be strong or watered down.

Some experiments are worthwhile if you document them well and list all of your ingredients and variables. I don't think what you are doing is experimenting, more just shooting in the dark looking for someone to validate a mess? Try it out and see what you make, and then figure out how to make real beer and do it that way? What you've listed thus far is not beer, yet.

Back