bottling/secondary+screen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coy

Reaction score
Ok so I'm getting closer the hydrometer readings are loosing speed and it's coming at just about 2 weeks in the fermenter, I estimate another 5-7 days maybe by what my readings are at(OG=1.042 yesterday it was 1.016 [est. final=1.013-1.08]).
So I'm getting ready/preparing to bottle or use a secondary..
Well I don't have a delegated secondary but I do have a bottling bucket.
I'm thinking the bottling bucket will be fine as a secondary but before I transfer, wanted to see if it was worth the effort to add maybe a screen to the inside of the spigot to assist keeping out anything?
I'm thinking of using a non metal screen (no scratches) to put around the inside bucket area of the spigot that way when bottling it'll filter out anything trub that might flow in.? or is it all a waist of time? did a quick search but well ya know..

I wouldn't waste time with a secondary, let it hit terminal and then clear up in the primary. Rack it to the secondary using a racking cane being careful not to suck up the trub. This should be pretty easy, especially with those little red tip things that go on the end of the racking cane to divert direction of the siphon upwards. If you use the spigot and start sucking up the trub a filter in it will likely clog up resulting in massive frustration leading to the use of the racking cane.

i wouldn't use the bottling bucket as a secondary if anything use that as the primary next time. my reasoning is, if you use the bucket as a secondary what are you going to use as a bottling bucket? if you use it as the primary then use the carboy as the secondary, yuo have the bucket free for bottling.

Thanks and makes sense.
how about if I strained it into the bottling bucket from the fermenting bucket. Right now I don't have a racking cane.

edit:
i wouldn't use the bottling bucket as a secondary if anything use that as the primary next time. my reasoning is, if you use the bucket as a secondary what are you going to use as a bottling bucket? if you use it as the primary then use the carboy as the secondary, yuo have the bucket free for bottling.

I have a fermenting bucket and a bottling bucket.. no carboy. :(

i think leaving it in the primary will be your best bet.

You should probably get some sort of racking cane or other device (hose attached to a spigot) pouring/straining the wort after fermentation will more than likely aerate the wort and possibly cause oxidation. the transfer from one vessel to the other should be a smooth and calm transfer.

i think leaving it in the primary will be your best bet.

You should probably get some sort of racking cane or other device (hose attached to a spigot) pouring/straining the wort after fermentation will more than likely aerate the wort and possibly cause oxidation. the transfer from one vessel to the other should be a smooth and calm transfer.

I have a hose for the spigot to the bottling bucket.. didn't know about the possible oxidation thing. Appreciate your insite on that. :D

Wish I had more time to finish reading my book, I'm only a 3rd through it and have had it for over a month... it'd probably help w/ some of this information. lol

Back