Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
OK.. my bottles are developing a yeast cake in the bottom of them.. Why.. i've just been using safe packets and dry yeast 11.5g ones for 5 gallons.. Before a rack/bottle i use a 3/8 siphon and try my hardest not to get any of the cake into ethier the rack or bottling bucket..how can i stop this from happening.. i've been pouring the bottles into a glass to drink them.. but that yeast on the bottom taste bad???

thanks

That's called "bottle conditioned", and it normal. It's the remaining yeast falling out of suspension after they eat your priming sugar and create more Co2 to carb your beer. You can't have one without the other. They are also chucked full of vitamins, so if it doesn't bother you drink up!

All bottle-conditioned beers will have some yeast on the bottom. If there were no yeast in your beer, you'd get no carbonation in your bottles. Pouring into a glass is the normal method.

Some things you can do to reduce sediment in the bottles:

-leave the beer in the fermenter longer
-crash cool before bottling
-use finings

I have a friend who drinks all the yeast at the bottom and it doesn't bother him but for me I usually leave about a little less than an inch at the bottom.

Right, it's all normal, and if you decant your bottle properly into a glass you can eliminate getting the yeast into it by leaving the last 1/4 to 1/2" of beer in the bottle. But drinking it won't hurt.

Do you use a bottling bucket or do you take right from the carboy?

Right from the carboy you will get more yeast not that it is a bad thing). If you siphon into a bottling bucket you will have a cleaner bottle.

Also - a hint - when you bottle - if you are in the kitchen position everythign on top of a dish washer and open the door - it'll act as a nice beer catcher for drips and so forth.

That's called "bottle conditioned", and it normal. It's the remaining yeast falling out of suspension after they eat your priming sugar and create more Co2 to carb your beer. You can't have one without the other. They are also chucked full of vitamins, so if it doesn't bother you drink up!

Yeah, have to agree with all the above BUT.....

Is it just me that looks at WildWest's Avatar for "longer than necessary".

I have never had my attention captured by so few pixels.

Do you use a bottling bucket or do you take right from the carboy?

Right from the carboy you will get more yeast not that it is a bad thing). If you siphon into a bottling bucket you will have a cleaner bottle.

Also - a hint - when you bottle - if you are in the kitchen position everythign on top of a dish washer and open the door - it'll act as a nice beer catcher for drips and so forth.

thanks on the washer idea...

maybe i'l just rack then into the BBucket.. and let i set for an one or so before i start bottling it...

Back