Bottles infected? With photos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirk

Reaction score
Yes I know, another infection thread but in my 6 batches I've never seen something like this. I am specially concerned because I reused the yeast of this batch for two others... so I have 5 gallons bottled plus 10 more gallons fermenting using the same yeast...

My bottles have something like an aureole and something that looks like fungus floating on them...
dsc01479so.jpg

dsc01485u.jpg

Maybe, but you won't know until you open one and taste it. I've had bottles that didn't show anything funky looking inside, yet had a nasty gusher bug. At the same time, I've seen bottles with a layer of bubbles or film on top that were just fine. If you're concerned about bottle bombs from the sight of these, then sample one early and see how it tastes. If it's nasty tasting, there's a chance they are infected and you might save yourself some major cleanup by popping all the tops and dumping them now. If it tastes fine, then let them continue to carb up and you should have some great homebrew to drink.

I opened one and it tastes just flat, like a very green beer, not good at all but not nasty.

Then it's probably fine. Trust me, when you taste an infected beer, you'll know it. :cross:

So the flavour should be bad from the start? doesn't it take some time for an infected beer to start tasting awful?

That looks like some mini krausen from the refermentation in bottles, I´ve seen that if you bottle a few days ago it is probably that, it will eventualy sink to the bottom, if you end up having a thick brown lace around the bottle neck it can be an infection. Wait and see

I was going to say the one on the right looked like yeast rafts. I've gotten bubbles around the top off the beer in the bottles that were fine. Time will tell.

It looks to me like you have one of those elusive bottle krausens that happens quite a lot.

Carbing beer is similiar to fermentation...Yeast eats sugars and poops co2 and alchohol....Since ale yeasts are top fermenting, it works just like in your fermenter...Krauzens often get formed and then fall through to the bottom during the 3 week process... Some yeasts are more apt to do it more dramatically than others...and priming with dme sometimes makes it noticeable...

I actually have a theory that it happens all the time, but since a lot of us (except noobs, that is) just stick our bottles in a box, in a dark place and forget about them for 3 or more weeks, (instead of staring at them obsesively), we never notice it occuring.

But I've caught a few of them.

How long did you ferment? I agree with another poster, looks a bit like Krausen. Could it be you bottled a bit early?

It looks to me like you have one of those elusive bottle krausens that happens quite a lot.

Carbing beer is similiar to fermentation...Yeast eats sugars and poops co2 and alchohol....Since ale yeasts are top fermenting, it works just like in your fermenter...Krauzens often get formed and then fall through to the bottom during the 3 week process... Some yeasts are more apt to do it more dramatically than others...and priming with dme sometimes makes it noticeable...

I actually have a theory that it happens all the time, but since a lot of us (except noobs, that is) just stick our bottles in a box, in a dark place and forget about them for 3 or more weeks, (instead of staring at them obsesively), we never notice it occuring.

But I've caught a few of them.

Thank you very much! very explicative... I always put the bottles in the back of my closet so I see them, by the way I used US-05(My favourite yeast so far) and primed with dextrose.

Now I am calmed lol

Back