*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottled tonight - Strong Alcohol Taste/smell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
srkaeppler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottled tonight - Strong Alcohol Taste/smell

Hey All-

Tonight I bottled a modified version of a papazian recipe, the Garden Grand Cru, on p 192 of his book. Instead of adding 2 lbs of honey, I added closer to 4lbs. I also added an extra lb or so of malt extract(total about 6 lbs of light dried extract). Fermentation went fine, eventhough it was a bit warm(I swamp cooled it). Put it into the second, let it sit. I bottled it tonight and naturally took a sip. WOOOO! It definitely had some kick to it! I would describe it as being a bit harsh, and you could really taste the alcohol. I was hoping for more orange flavor, I didn't taste much. No significant off tastes, just a strong alcohol taste and smell. For the record, OG was about 1.064 and FG was 1.010-1.012

I initially wanted to have this done about Oct 3th for the homecoming tailgate/football game(GO HAWKS!), but I am not sure I want to unleash this on the masses. I am wondering if letting it age for a long time will help the 'harsh' alcohol taste I described. Any suggestions?

Thanks all!

Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
wacko
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

1.06 to 1.01 isn't too bad. You can always sample one that day and make up your mind. I think using that much honey will give you a more alcohol taste though.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
Legin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

How much was a bit warm? High fermentation temperatures can lead to a strong alcohol taste.

I'm actually in the same pickle. I brewed a batch with 2lb of orange blossom honey. Recently tried a bottle and the alcohol taste was a little too strong. My temps were fine also, so I have no idea what it could of been. Did you taste it before bottling? Did it have that same alcohol taste?

Old 09-15-2010, 02:10 AM   #4
MrWiggles
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, this can result from many things here...
You added a ton of extra fermentables without adding more hops to balence the malt.
Honey takes a while to ferment, although from your og/fg it seems you took the time to wait.
Aaand, yes, you need to let them sit and wait. Time heals *most* wounds in beermaking. Chances are if you age the beer for a while in the bottle, and I'm not talkin a just a couple weeks, it will turn out much better. This should mellow out the alcohol taste and meld the flavors together much more thoroughly, allowing the honey/orange/malt/whatever else you added to come through.

Good luck and I hope this helps. I'm sure other, more qualified, members will come to the rescue in helping you to alleviate this small 'problem'.

I took up nuclear physics instead.
Broom Closet Brews

Primary: Empty :(

Clearing Apfelwein

Bottled: Apfelwein mit Pfirschen, Mild w/orange&chocolate

R.I.P. Bareknuckle Brown, Witzbold Weizen

Old 09-15-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
SamuraiSquirrel
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I brewed a tripel that was was 1.075 down to 1.006. Nothing but 2-row, cane sugar, minimal amount of hops, and belgian yeast. Bottled after a 4 week primary at 68 degrees. You could smell and taste the alcohol at bottling. It goes away and your beer should smell and taste nice in a couple weeks. Mine is at 3 weeks and the harsh alcohol smell and taste are gone. I know it's not at it's prime yet but a defininate improvement and I happy to see how it tastes in another month of two.

Give it a couple weeks and then try one and see what you think once it's carbed up.

Currently Fermenting: Charlie Sheen (barleywine)

Kegged: Tiger Blood IPA, Irish Red, Strict Observance Tripel

Bottled: Dry Stout, Pliny the ..... Squirrel?, Cream Ale

Old 09-15-2010, 02:17 AM   #6
srkaeppler
Recipes 

Hey All-

Again thanks for all of the comments. Yeah, this one may not be ready for homecoming in a couple of weeks, but our home schedule for football is STACKED! So I think I may have a good beer, ready to roll, for later games this season in 1-2 months. Hopefully by then it will have calmed down and make a great beer to enjoy and keep one warm on the cold late fall games.

Still would love to hear advice, as always!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #7
Legin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

"You added a ton of extra fermentables without adding more hops to balance the malt."

I knew I shouldn't have cheaped-out with only 1 oz of hops.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

honey ferments out slow, and the more you add, the slower the beer ferments out. 4lbs? you'll probably have to give it 2-3 months

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 AM   #9
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

On all my beers, I let the flavor be the judge of when to bottle. if it has that alcohol bite, then it needs more time in the fermenter. It'll age out bulk a lot faster than in the bottle.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had the same issue with my wee heavy. after 4 weeks in the bottle it has mellowed out nicely.

Quick Reply