Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > to bottle or not to bottle...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
Recompense
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 13
Default to bottle or not to bottle...

...That is the question.

So... still new to this. I brewed an IPA on 7/28 (my second brew) with an og of 1.051. I checked it on 8/12 and it was a 1.020...a little high. I gave it a couple swirls and later that night it was a krausening and everything. A happy camper I was.

(full disclosure, 2-row roasted barley, 6.6 lbs LME, 3 lbs DME, lots of armarillo, muntons gold pack dry yeast)

Now, it's 8/18 (ok, 8/19) and it's read 1.015 for two days now and I was excited to bottle tomorrow.... until I noticed bubbles-a-rumblin in the air lock.

So, I leave for a 3 week trip on thursday and I was hoping to have this bottled and ready for me when I get back...do I bottle or do I not bottle if it reads 1.015 tomorrow? IF it dips to 1.014 do I bottle away? thoughts?

__________________
Recompense is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
Poindexter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Poindexter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: interior Alaska
Posts: 1,210
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Another three weeks on the yeast cake won't hurt it and might help it.

Even if you leave it for three weeks while away, then leave it on dry hops for two more weeks there will be plenty of yeast left in suspension for it to carb right up.

Do you really have time to brew another batch and get something else into primary before you leave? You can probably get away with bottling it and not having bombs, but if your primary isn't going to be busy, better to wait.

My pipeline is at 45 gallons, so I would have no problem leaving it.

__________________
Poindexter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
nallanrex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Posts: 126
Default

The bubbles in the air lock are probably just off gassing(co2 coming out of solution.)

If it did drop a gravity point I personally would leave it. Bottle bombs scare me. But I may just be anal.



-Nick

__________________

"I live and breathe beer. I stopped breathing oxygen back in '95." - Trev

nallanrex is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
double_e5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 905
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

If the gravity is the same tomorrow, you will be safe to bottle. If it drops, leave it alone.

__________________
double_e5 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
Recompense
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Another three weeks on the yeast cake won't hurt it and might help it.

Even if you leave it for three weeks while away, then leave it on dry hops for two more weeks there will be plenty of yeast left in suspension for it to carb right up.

Do you really have time to brew another batch and get something else into primary before you leave? You can probably get away with bottling it and not having bombs, but if your primary isn't going to be busy, better to wait.

My pipeline is at 45 gallons, so I would have no problem leaving it.
I guess that's the thing... I can get another in primary and I dont have 45 gallons in my pipeline...I'm bone dry and hoping to get this one ready for when I get back.

As far as dry hopping, do I lose anything with a 4 week dry hop?
__________________
Recompense is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
double_e5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 905
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I wouldn't dry hop for 4 weeks. I have never experienced it, but many people claim they get grassy flavors from dry hopping longer than 2 weeks. I usually go for a week because IMO you don't gain anything from dry hopping longer than that.

__________________
double_e5 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Better Bottle or plastic water cooler bottle? Crash Equipment/Sanitation 14 04-29-2010 01:06 AM
For Sale - Bottle Tree/Sulfiter/Bottle Cleaner--$25 agroff383 For Sale 3 10-19-2009 09:08 PM
Exchanging a Argon bottle for a Nitrogen bottle BrewBeemer Equipment/Sanitation 1 05-30-2009 03:19 PM
Bottle in the Miller Lite 16oz Al bottle/can things beesy General Beer Discussion 5 03-30-2009 08:18 PM
Can you transfer from bottle to bottle w/o losing carbonation? Thor Bottling/Kegging 2 02-20-2006 11:54 AM