Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > to bottle or not to bottle...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
Recompense
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default to bottle or not to bottle...

...That is the question.

So... still new to this. I brewed an IPA on 7/28 (my second brew) with an og of 1.051. I checked it on 8/12 and it was a 1.020...a little high. I gave it a couple swirls and later that night it was a krausening and everything. A happy camper I was.

(full disclosure, 2-row roasted barley, 6.6 lbs LME, 3 lbs DME, lots of armarillo, muntons gold pack dry yeast)

Now, it's 8/18 (ok, 8/19) and it's read 1.015 for two days now and I was excited to bottle tomorrow.... until I noticed bubbles-a-rumblin in the air lock.

So, I leave for a 3 week trip on thursday and I was hoping to have this bottled and ready for me when I get back...do I bottle or do I not bottle if it reads 1.015 tomorrow? IF it dips to 1.014 do I bottle away? thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Another three weeks on the yeast cake won't hurt it and might help it.

Even if you leave it for three weeks while away, then leave it on dry hops for two more weeks there will be plenty of yeast left in suspension for it to carb right up.

Do you really have time to brew another batch and get something else into primary before you leave? You can probably get away with bottling it and not having bombs, but if your primary isn't going to be busy, better to wait.

My pipeline is at 45 gallons, so I would have no problem leaving it.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
nallanrex
Recipes 

The bubbles in the air lock are probably just off gassing(co2 coming out of solution.)

If it did drop a gravity point I personally would leave it. Bottle bombs scare me. But I may just be anal.

-Nick

"I live and breathe beer. I stopped breathing oxygen back in '95." - Trev

Old 08-19-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If the gravity is the same tomorrow, you will be safe to bottle. If it drops, leave it alone.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
Recompense
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Another three weeks on the yeast cake won't hurt it and might help it.

Even if you leave it for three weeks while away, then leave it on dry hops for two more weeks there will be plenty of yeast left in suspension for it to carb right up.

Do you really have time to brew another batch and get something else into primary before you leave? You can probably get away with bottling it and not having bombs, but if your primary isn't going to be busy, better to wait.

My pipeline is at 45 gallons, so I would have no problem leaving it.
I guess that's the thing... I can get another in primary and I dont have 45 gallons in my pipeline...I'm bone dry and hoping to get this one ready for when I get back.

As far as dry hopping, do I lose anything with a 4 week dry hop?

Old 08-19-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wouldn't dry hop for 4 weeks. I have never experienced it, but many people claim they get grassy flavors from dry hopping longer than 2 weeks. I usually go for a week because IMO you don't gain anything from dry hopping longer than that.

Quick Reply