Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle Carbing temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Kaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Bottle Carbing temp

Been reading a lot on here but haven't posted much. I made the move last Jan. from Mr. Beer to 5 gallon extract bacthes. I have 4 cases of recently brewed beer carbing. One batch I just bottled (Irish Red) and a Pumpkin Ale that has been in the bottles for 1 week. We keep our house pretty cool in the winter, about 60-63F. I can let my bottles carb up anywhere in the house at about 60F, or I can move them into our boiler room that gets to around 70F or even warmer, but it is not consistent. I'm looking for the best place to get a good 2 week carbonation going...any suggestions? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
milwaukee
Recipes 

Carbonation is just another fermentation by the same strand of yeast that made your beer. If they're used to working in one spot in your house that's a steady temp, I wouldn't see any reason not to put your bottles in that exact same spot.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Check the recommended fermentation temps for the type of yeast you are using and go from there. I usually get mine into the case and let them carbonate right where I had it in the primary

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 11-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Move it to the warm place. The temp and strain used for bottle conditioning have very, very little impact on the flavor of the beer. Heck, I've used T-58 at 80F for lagers. National beer judges were oblivious to the spicy Belgian strain.

Quick Reply