Boil Over Mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekstallion

Reaction score
Well, I managed to have a huge boil over after adding the malt extract for my first batch..... :( Any idea if it's still good even if I lost a good chunk of it and have to reheat it?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

it's still wort, and it'll still be beer. You may not hit your gravity numbers dead on, but you can compensate by adding some DME if you've got some handy.

Alright phew. I guess I have another odd question. It says to use 4 gallons of cold water but all I have is room temperature. That should still be OK though right? Sorry about the newb questions.... I'm pretty much lost over here. :l thanks

it's best to cool the wort as quickly as possible, this is why they recommend cold water. any old water will work fine though. just be sure you let the wort cool completely before pitching.

it's best to cool the wort as quickly as possible, this is why they recommend cold water. any old water will work fine though. just be sure you let the wort cool completely before pitching.

Just make sure to not drop the temp to low though. I am assuming you are doing an ale. If so, get the temp to around 70 and then pitch.

Alright I threw the water in the freezer so it should be at least slightly chilled and I didn't have any more dme so I hope it still ends up ok. Thanks for all the help guys, I seriously appreciate it :D

Some of those kits have pretty terrible instructions. You might want to check out Palmer's How to Brew when you have some extra time. I found that my brew days went a lot smoother after his book.

http://www.howtobrew.com/

I do suggest purchasing the latest edition as a lot of the information on the website is out of date.

Well the gravity seemed to be off by .1 I think which I'm hoping is not a big deal.

Everything else seemed to work out ok. The only other issues I ran into was figuring out how to get the boiling hot wort into the carboy and how to stir the yeast into the carboy. I ended up just cutting one of the gallon jugs I used in half and making a make shift funnel for the first solution and just sloshed the carboy around for the second problem.....

So now I wait........ and clean up this huge mess I made lol

Hopefully nothing went wrong.....

Back