Black Beauty vs Red Baron

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a difference?

I picked up a BB and I really don't care for it. The caps can get held by the magnet crooked and wind up deforming while capping.

I thought it might be a good idea to pick one up with my gift card.. but.. ugh.

Wondering if the RB might be better.

I'm not giving up my bench capper :)

Is there a difference?

I picked up a BB and I really don't care for it. The caps can get held by the magnet crooked and wind up deforming while capping.

I thought it might be a good idea to pick one up with my gift card.. but.. ugh.

Wondering if the RB might be better.

I'm not giving up my bench capper :)

If you have a bench capper, should have picked up a spare auto siphon.

Yeah, the BB sucks. The RB is much, much better. Keep it in the car with a bag of caps in case you need to resolve any "open container" issues on short notice.

I started with the red baron & used it a couple years. Then the bell kinda stretched out. I bought the super agata bench capper & never looked back.

I have the Red Baron, it's bottled at least 1000 bottles and still hangin' in there. I recently bought the Agata (not the Super Agata, the regular one). Not impressed. Under pressure its column bends, causing the cap to be crimped a bit to the side. The guy at my LHBS insisted it was the "super" model, but a few weeks after I bought it, I looked it up online and found it was the cheaper version, though I paid a full $45 for it. I lost track of the receipt, so can't return it. The two look very similar at first glance, but this one is obviously lighter-duty.

I have gone back to the Red Baron.

The regular bench capper has the black adjuster button on the slide. The super agata I have dosen't. They sent me the wrong one & had to contact them & send it back to get the super agata I ordered. fine so far.

Just moved to kegging but after bottling 30 batches, 1600+ bottles my RB is still going strong. Never one issue of a broken bottle or loose cap.

The regular bench capper has the black adjuster button on the slide. The super agata I have dosen't. They sent me the wrong one & had to contact them & send it back to get the super agata I ordered. fine so far.

Yep, mine has the black button. Since I no longer have the sales receipt, maybe I'll try to sell it on CL. Interestingly, the LHBS' website shows the Super Agata, with a pic of the correct one. But when I went in and asked for one, what they brought me turned out to be the non-super version. At the time, I didn't know what the differences were and had no reason to suspect. The differences in appearance between the two are subtle. But the non-super is very lightweight and kind of flimsy.

I'll just keep using the RB, and maybe some day when I feel like blowing some dough, I'll get a Colonna.

Interesting how a thread can go to something totally different :off: :D

When the OP's question has been directly answered by a chorus of several people, all that's left to do is branch out. :D

But yeah, I did sort of hijack the thread. Guilty as charged. :off:

I will steer it back and say in summary that the Red Baron is the best <$20 capper you're going to find. The thing is damn near bulletproof.

Latest posts

Back