Biab mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnsen

Reaction score
OK....question....I brew in a bag...I was thinking , what would be the consequenses (if any)...to add my crushed grain, right into my brew pot cold..as in when I add water....and then flame on, until I reach my mash temp , then mash for my 1 hr...and then go on as normal?...I seems that my it would take some of the guesswork out of what my strike temp would be......also, how about this....I mash in cold as described above, put the lid on my brew pot, put my flame on the lowest setting (stove top) all b4 bedtime...get up , and heat the rest of the way...and procede....just thinking a bit of a time saver here...any thoughts?...Tom

There's a video on youtube that craigtube did just like you're saying. But I'm pretty sure it was steeping grains. I guess it'd work just as well with AG?

OK....question....I brew in a bag...I was thinking , what would be the consequenses (if any)...to add my crushed grain, right into my brew pot cold..as in when I add water....and then flame on, until I reach my mash temp , then mash for my 1 hr...and then go on as normal?...I seems that my it would take some of the guesswork out of what my strike temp would be......also, how about this....I mash in cold as described above, put the lid on my brew pot, put my flame on the lowest setting (stove top) all b4 bedtime...get up , and heat the rest of the way...and procede....just thinking a bit of a time saver here...any thoughts?...Tom

It can work but the problem is that you aren't just heating water, you have a mash and it doesn't circulate the same as water so you get hot spots and cold spots unless you stir nearly constantly. How good is your stirring arm?

That's why I always heat the water to mash temp before stiring in the crushed grains. I always thought that the warmer temp would be more uniform at that point.

I tried this once. The problem is as RM-MN described, you end up with hot spots and cold spots. I ended up cycling the burner off and on several times to bring it up slowly and stirring a lot in between to try to equalize the mash temperature. Finished that one, but abandoned the method in favor of the traditional pre-heat and mash in to get the temperature I wanted.

I did this by accident once. I was thinking of steeping grains for an extract recipe rather than an AG process. Realized my mistake as soon as I finished "mashing in." I don't think the brew was any worse for the wear, but I won't make it a habit. If a method ain't broke, don't fix it.

Latest posts

Back