Beer style with fastest turnover.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjuicy

Reaction score
In your experience what beer style was ready the fastest. I don't bottle so any keggers out there your opinion will be highly valued

I made a wit once that was drinkable three weeks after brew day. It wasn't at it's best for about another 2 weeks though.

A good hefeweizen can definitely turn around quickly. Brew day to keg in about 2 weeks, if need be.

Pale ale at around 1.045 fermented with Safale 04 will finish VERY quickly. You could bottle/keg in a week if you had to. Ferment at around 68f. Of course, letting it set longer will clean up off flavors.

I just did a bavarian style hefe. I needed it to be ready quickly since I got behind on my brewing. I brewed it on 1/24/11 and we drank it yesterday for my Superbowl party. Everyone was very pleased with it. In fact, I am drinking some of it right now.

If you want my recipe, let me know. It's AG but I can convert it to Extract for you if needed.

Here ya go. This is a light Hefe but the flavor is there. I will go pour a new one right now and post a picture here in the next few minutes.

It's a Small Weizen
Type: Extract
Date: 1/3/2011

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Jess
Boil Size: 6.41 gal Asst Brewer: Rosie
Boil Time: 60 min
Taste Rating(out of 50): 44.0
Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.14 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 69.4 %
1.82 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 30.6 %
0.83 oz Hallertauer [4.00%] (60 min)
0.41 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (30 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
0.41 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (15 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.043 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.041 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 3.9 %
Bitterness: 23.3 IBU Calories: 180 cal/pint

I did the Centennial Blond Ale recipe that is on the forum. A buddy of mine and I did a 10 gallon batch and split it. It too could have been ready to drink in 3 weeks. Maybe a bit under.

I turned out well but if I did it again, I would up the hops just a wee bit. The BMC drinkers loved it.

Here is a picture of the recipe I posted.

DSCN0075.jpg

If you do a reasonable starter you can have pretty much any sub 1.060 american style in the keg drinking in one week. I don't mean an oversize (mrmalty.com) starter, just 1 L with a stirplate or shaking. You can also get a bavarian wheat in the keg in a week as well, with a decent starter. Of course this means making the starter a couple days in advance, and your beer will be cloudy. You can get the cloudiness fixed with gelatin in the keg and crash cooling, but that's going to add 2 days or so. Also, if you want to dry hop you'll have to add that time. So basically, if you don't mind drinking cloudy beer, which I don't, you could make a blonde, pale, esb, red, amber, porter, wheat, rye, etc. in 9 days from your trip to lhbs if you have good temp control and everything goes right. You could have a crystal clear beer in under two weeks.

Back