The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Batch Down! Help Needed! Save my wheat beer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #11
bernerbrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

RELAX.

Yeast can sometimes take 72 hours to show visible signs of fermentation.

There's a possibility that you will get an infection from not having boiled it, and you'll probably wind up with lackluster hop utilization, but there's no chance of sugar coming out of solution.

Odds are in your favor that you will have beer. Now do yourself a favor and find something to occupy your mind for 6 weeks while your yeast do their thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #12
Blauvelt
Recipes 

wow. if I were you, I would boil it. Dump it back in the pot and boil it for 60 mins. get more yeast and finishing hops and it should turn out ok. it might be a bit more bitter than expected if you used a lot of aroma hops.

The faster you bring it to a boil the better because yeast can mutate at higher temps-which leads to off flavours.

I like mushrooms.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
Duffer
Recipes 

Hmmmm..... The sugars are definitely dissolved, but you are sure to grow a contaminant since none of your ingredients got boiled or even pasteurized..... or did they?!

150 for over an hour. I know I've seen a pasteurization chart somewhere.

The other thing is you will have no hop bitterness at all.

Interesting dilemma: Reboil with new hop additions and repitch yeast would be my next move.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:19 PM   #14
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
The faster you bring it to a boil the better because yeast can mutate at higher temps-which leads to off flavours.
Left on their own at temps over 70, they will produce esters that may contribute to off flavors, but this is not mutation. If he boils it, they're not going to have enough time to produce the esters that contribute to off-flavors.

Seriously, heed the words of John Lennon and let it be.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
Blauvelt
Recipes 

If you don't boil it you will probably get some lactic acid bacteria in there, and you will have very little to no hop bitterness. beer with no bitterness is not as tasty as it sounds.

I like mushrooms.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #16
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You want to mash or steep your grains at 150, but then after the grains are removed boil the wort while adding the hops at the various times. Where do you live in Georgia?

Any advise offered after 10:00p.m. should be regarded as questionable
I can't brew until something is empty

Old 04-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #17
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blauvelt View Post
wow. if I were you, I would boil it. Dump it back in the pot and boil it for 60 mins. get more yeast and finishing hops and it should turn out ok. it might be a bit more bitter than expected if you used a lot of aroma hops.

No offense, but this is the worst advice possible at this point. There will have been some hop utilisation, so reboiling would screw that up even more. Not to mention that heat killing the yeast during an extended boil, which would be very hard to remove from the wort after, would probably yield off flavour as well. If there has been any fermentation (and there likely has been) then all the alcohol created so far would be lost.

As for the second part of your post, heating up yeast will not cause mutation, just death. Mutation will also not necessarily lead to off flavours, but if a specific mutation did then you'd need a pretty significant portion of your yeast to mutate the same way (not possible as mutations are random) or reproduce from a single yeast cell many more times than is possible during a growth period prior to fermentation. What I think you mean is that a fermentation occuring at higher than recommended temps will lead to off flavours, and while this is true not enough fermentation would occur in the period leading up to a boil for it to matter.

I understand that you want to help people, but it's a good idea to have your facts straight before giving someone flawed advice.
Bopper Likes This 
Old 04-25-2010, 12:05 AM   #18
MatthewTCranford
Recipes 

so the best idea would be to just leave it and hope for no infection? How would I tell if there was any sort of infection? Is there anything at this point that I can to to help prevent an infection?

Old 04-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #19
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think you could boil it. You don't even have to get new hops. The hops you use will act like First Wort Hops. So, I'm not exactly following Gremlyn1 that the hops would screw you up. I doubt the dead yeast will contribute any flavors. But you will need a source of new yeast. At four hours, probably the yeast pitched have only been doing aerobic respiration, so there is probably no alcohol. But if you are going to boil it, the quicker the better.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:20 AM   #20
MatthewTCranford
Recipes 

well the wort got up to 160 at least, and thats with only the thermometer tip in the wort. I've been seeing online that it needs to get to 165 for pasteurization to take place. I'm pretty sure it got to that point in the process...

Does anybody know of any specific temperatures it needs to get to for the pasteurization of beer?

Also, how do you know if you have an infection or not?

Quick Reply