Basic homebrew kits help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSGTFLASH

Reaction score
Hello I just bought a basic steinfillers (Long Beach California) kit with two buckets and all the basic supplies to do an extract IPA. The buckets each have spigots and one has a lid. My first question is with the lid. Does the lid have to lock down or be secured in the bucket during fermentation? My lid doesn't seam to lock down on the bucket. Any help?

does it have a hole for an airlock? If not you may want to drill a hole and get an airlock. Being locked down with the airlock is nice so you can see it bubbling away. One of my buckets the lid does not go airtight but often my airlock will not bubble but the fermenation gasses still get out. No airlock, locked down bucket lid is asking for a mess.

you may also have to peel off the safety tab that runs around the outside of the lid. I've never tried to put on a lid with that thing still there, I know you can't take the lid off a bucket with the safety tab still on.

That looks like a lid I have for one of my buckets.. if it does go on, it will be next to impossible to come off without pulling the tab strip.

I also suggest pulling off the tab. I made the mistake of putting a lid on with the tabs still on. What a pain in the ass to get off.

I use a rubber mallet to snap those lids down tight. Then a lid or bucket prying tool to get'em off. Saves sore hands & fingertips! Stick on temp strips down about the middle of the bucket is handy & quite accurate for gauging fermentation temps at a glance. And a glass hydrometer in a round tube for testing start & final gravities ( what are called OG & FG on here). Northern Brewer has this to fit the base of the tube it comes in for testing; http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/testing-measuring/foam-hydrometer-stand-ring-blue.html
Here's the lid prying tool I have; http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/bucket-opening-tool.html The blue ring is on sale now for 43c!

Uniondr: thank you. That was the most helpful tip yet. When using the bucket pry tool, does it deform or warp the lid? I'm hoping to reuse this lid and not have to buy a new one every time I want to brew a beer.

No, it definitely doesn't warp or damage the lid. Just go easy when prying the lid off. The little point on the end of the prying tool is for getting the seal out of the lid to clean that area occasionally while soaking the seal in PBW or the like.

you may also have to peel off the safety tab that runs around the outside of the lid. I've never tried to put on a lid with that thing still there, I know you can't take the lid off a bucket with the safety tab still on.

You CAN, and I do with mine, but it's a pain in the butt. That being said, I've left it on because I feel I get a better seal with it on than otherwise.

I have to slowly work my way around the bucket with both hands prying up one section of the rim at a time.

Thank you very much. I owe you a beer.
That reminds me. I owe somebody on here a homebrew, & forgot who? gotta check those PM's again?!:drunk:
You CAN, and I do with mine, but it's a pain in the butt. That being said, I've left it on because I feel I get a better seal with it on than otherwise.

I have to slowly work my way around the bucket with both hands prying up one section of the rim at a time.
I took it off the home depot orange bucket, since it only sees utility uses nowadays. The FV buckets I have now from Midwest & Cooper's don't have that darn zip strip. I imagine the prying tool might crack it off anyway. But the lids should snap down just fine without'em. The home depot one sure does!

Back