Ayinger Octoberfest with pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnomyaR

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399861608.167862.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399861625.822031.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399861688.166940.jpg
Just curious as this 4th batch of beer, but the OG on this was like 1042. After a week, I racked to secondary in a clear carboy to see it better. Well I didn't take a gravity cause I thought shirly my fermentation isn't complete. I just took a gravity now and it's 1010. There has been absolutely no activity since I racked it. Just looks like cider, setting there. Seems to taste okay, what I tasted off the side of my baster. What y'all think? Still good to go to cold crash?

If you like the taste of your beer and the gravity is stable, then it is fine to cold crash.

Normally, I ferment my lagers for about three weeks in the primary and then cold crash in primary for a few days before kegging. Lagers tend to ferment slower than ales and the extra time on the yeast helps ensure that fermentation byproducts like diacetyl are cleaned up.

I am not surprised you didn't see activity after transferring to a secondary. You essentially removed the beer from the vast majority of the yeast.

Back