Anyone have an extract/or partial mash Bock recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ichthy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to homebrewing and am about to bottle my first batch today. I'd like to order enough supplies to make a couple of batches of beer before the basement gets too cold. I suspect in a couple of weeks the basement will be near 50 -55 degrees F, and that I could try a lager.

I was wondering if anyone has a good extract or partial mash Bock recipe that isn't too difficult to make? I checked the recipe database and it was pretty sparse with Bock recipes.

Thanks in advance

This is a kit recipe that I tried a while back.....wasn't bad.

Ingredients:

1 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
6.6 lbs Munton's Amber Liquid Extract
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00%] (60 min) Hops 23.5 IBU
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50%] (15 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Danstar)

Beer Profile:
Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.0 %
Bitterness: 29.3 IBU

Bring your water up to 150 and steep the grains in a grain bag for 30-45min. Bring to a boil and go to town ;)

This is a kit recipe that I tried a while back.....wasn't bad.

Ingredients:

1 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
6.6 lbs Munton's Amber Liquid Extract
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00%] (60 min) Hops 23.5 IBU
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50%] (15 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Danstar)

Beer Profile:
Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.0 %
Bitterness: 29.3 IBU
Calories: 43 cal/pint

Bring your water up to 150 and steep the grains in a grain bag for 30-45min. Bring to a boil and go to town ;)
Man - now that's a light beer!

Thanks for the recipe. Isn't the Notty yeast an ale yeast? Does this recipe not require lagering?

Yup....Nottingham is an ale yeast.

Like I said, this was a kit I picked up at a LHBS and it came with the Notty. Since this isn't my recipe I copied it verbatim, warts and all. You could easily swap out for a lager yeast. I am partial to S23 Saflager since it does well at warmer temps.

Out of curiousity I looked up Nottingham on the Danstar website and it had this to say, "The recommended fermentation temperature range of this strain is 14° to 21°C (57° to 70°F) with good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures (12°C/54°F) that allow this strain to be used in lager-style beer"

Maybe thats why it was in the kit? Anywho...it tasted good and the beer nazi's I brew with didn't complain when they drank it.

Great! I should have done my research before i posted a reply, so my apopologies. I too saw that the Nottingham ferments at low temps. I don't really have any lagering equipement but the basement should hit the high 50's in a week or two. This will be my second or third batch, so I probably ought to not dive into lagering yet.

Anyway, I got the supplies ordered from Midwest and hope to have it bubbling away in a week or so.

Thanks for the recipe and advice!

Does anyone have some advice as to the fermentation schedule I should use for this beer. I'm using the Nottinham ale yeast.

I expect the basement temp to be at about 58F, but may lose a couple degrees depending on the weather. I was thinking about 2 weeks in the primary and then racking it to secondary for a couple of weeks. Or should i just skip the secondary and go straight to bottles for a couple of weeks?

I brewed this beer about 4 weeks ago and finally tried it last night. I missed the recommend OG and hit 1.055 because I misread the recipe and used Light LME instead of Amber. FG was 1.012. I used the Notty yeast and fermented at 56F (ambient) for 2 weeks, then bottled. Tasted the beer last night after 12 days in the bottle carbing. It's pretty good, very malty, with a chocolate aftertaste that was very pleasant. I'm curious to see how this one ages, but would recommend this recipe to anyone.

Cool. I only have (2) 22oz Bombers left. I plan on sharing them with a visiting brewbuddy the first week of December. They should be about 8 mos old at that point. I will let let you know how it tastes after a bit of aging.

Kraghed

Did you ever try this again? Everyone, including SWMBO, loves this recipe. It is my first true success as a homebrewer!

Back