All grain equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigemags05

Reaction score
I've been brewing 5 gallon extract batches.

My current equipment is:

7 gallon stainless steel pot
7 gallon brew bucket
2 carboys

What else do I need to go to all grain brewing? I still want to stick to 5 gallon batches.

Also, I'm sure it's been discussed quite a bit, but can someone point me in the direction of some good information on how to make the switch from extract to all grain?

I'm also making the switch to all grain, but decided to go straight to 10 gallon batches.

1.) Bigger brew kettle, with doing full boils you have to account for boil off, you might encounter boil over issues with a 7 gal pots.
2.) Mash tun
3.) Wort chiller

I just finished building my mash tun last night. Search for FlyGuys mash tun build, very easy to do. I bought my keetle from www.brewhemoth.com and my wort chiller from www.amazon.com.

You might consider BIAB (brew in a bag). It's much less equipment intensive.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/

Get the biggest brew kettle you can. (I have a 15-gallon)
Bag (they can be a variety of price/quality from $2.50 - $15)
Metal Pie rack (to keep bag from scorching)

That's about it.

I have a malt mill, but it's not 100% necessary as the LBS will mill for me.

Gigemags05 said:
I've been brewing 5 gallon extract batches.

My current equipment is:

7 gallon stainless steel pot
7 gallon brew bucket
2 carboys

What else do I need to go to all grain brewing? I still want to stick to 5 gallon batches.

Also, I'm sure it's been discussed quite a bit, but can someone point me in the direction of some good information on how to make the switch from extract to all grain?

The switch is surprisingly easy. I was nervous as heck, but after a few sessions, I got my process smoothed out and wished i'd changed sooner.

The shortest answer to "what else do I need?" is "something to mash your grains." Basically, you are making your own extract by soaking ground grains. The two main roads are 1) using a big bag to submerge your grains in the water in your brew pot (Brew In A Bag) or 2) a mash tun (either another pot or a cooler--either way, it'll need a strainer/filter to extract wort but not grains into your brew pot for the boil).

After that, it's just like what you're used to with extract in terms of boil, hops, chill, ferment, package, enjoy :)

There are a zillion ways to complicate it from there and spend a zillion bucks, but that's the simple version. Hope that helps some.

I am also starting to switch to all grain. I went to Home Depot and got a 10 gal cooler. Then I did the conversion with a screen, valve and nipple. It was about $60.00 when I was done. I got a 7.5 Gal brew pot; Polar Ware, and a 10 gal HLT the one at Brewers best that is cheap and flimsy. They say the handles break off if you move it full, I won't. But a 10 Gallon pot for $99.00 with a valve was too good to not try. I have no pumps so I will have to set levels and use gravity; good thing the earth is spinning. The outdoor gas burner for the HLT, a chair for the cooler and I figured the floor for the Brew Kettle. That one I can move with just 6.5 gal in it. I’ll let you know what happens. Keep in touch and let me know what you end up doing.

Back