Adjustments for 2gal to 5gal boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sol

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to step up my brewing from extract with steeping grains to partial mash. I'm brewing a double chocolate stout from AHS tomorrow. The instructions say to mash and boil 2 gallons but I recently got my full boil setup going. I realize that I'll get better hop utilization with the full boil. If this was another extract kit I'd just do a full boil and forget about it (I like hops), but considering this is my first partial mash and a stout, is there anything else I should consider? Should I mash with 2gal, sparge it and then add 3.25gal and boil or just mash with 5gal?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm trying to step up my brewing from extract with steeping grains to partial mash. I'm brewing a double chocolate stout from AHS tomorrow. The instructions say to mash and boil 2 gallons but I recently got my full boil setup going. I realize that I'll get better hop utilization with the full boil. If this was another extract kit I'd just do a full boil and forget about it (I like hops), but considering this is my first partial mash and a stout, is there anything else I should consider? Should I mash with 2gal, sparge it and then add 3.25gal and boil or just mash with 5gal?

Thanks!

When you mash, you should not exceed 2 quarts per pound of grain. If you exceed this then conversion will not take place.

Read more here http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

use the same schedule for the mash, but when you add your extract, before the boil, top off to your preboil volume (remember, you are going to have boiloff) and use about 75-80% as much hops due to better utilization. 6.5gal preboil gives me 5gal final product but everyone's system is different.

If you have some brewing software, it's easy to calculate the change in the hops. You will get better utilization, but it's not a linear amount so it's hard to guestimate the differences without running it through some software.

Doing a full boil is a great way to easily improve your beer, and if you have the means to do it it's worth looking at adjusting the hops. It only takes a couple of minutes to do it.

Back