adjunct only beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clueless

Reaction score
If a beer was made with corn,rice,oats,orange rinds ,caraway seeds,cinnamon, and wheat all not malted would it even be a beer ?would it be palatable?or am I just crazy and need to stick to know recipes and not conjure up stuff like this.

Chicha sounds good but what Would you call a beer with more than just corn like a sake mixed with chicha mixed with everything else so if the corn isnt sweet enough than I could add sugar or some other ingredient

For Chicha, the natives pre-chew (with their mouths) a good portion of the corn in order to introduce enzymes ( like amylase) to break down the starches into sugar. The Japanese use a mold (Koji?) to break down the starch in rice for sake. Koji is available online.

Without malt, you have have no enzymes. Without enzymes, you have no sugar. Without sugar, you have no beer.

According to the German Purity Laws Reinheitsgebot, it would not be considered a beer, but then again a lot of things would not be considered a beer. As to what you would call it: A fermented beverage

Ah Clueless- 1st post. Welcome! Check out J.P.'s 'How to Brew' book(there's an older on-line version) and read about the malting/kilning/mashing process.
In your proposed brew you would have plenty of starch, but no sugars, because there's nothing in the mash to convert starch to sugar. JPC is right. No sugar=No Yeast food=No fermentation.
You could go the off-the-beaten-path route of chewing the grist and spitting it out(the Chica that Clonefan94 mentions), or mash with beano or purified amylase enzyme, but there's only one reason I could think of. And that's if you're philosophically opposed to killing a potential baby plant in the malting/kilning process. :;):

Me and my buddy brewed something like that in a beer fueled brew session 10years ago. We also used a ton of corn sugar as well. Let me tell you this: It tasted like a$$ but had a high alcohol content. (read: Schlitz Malt Liquor)

Interesting I just thought about something how do you malt non malted grains and could I justed add sugar brown and white andnthe grains for flavor

Buy some DME and be done with it.

Conversely, if you're interested in a non-"grain" base, head over to the gluten free section and see what those guys and gals are doing.

I'm no longer surprised to see a new poster trying to skirt the no-hooch rule/sugar only "recipe" for the sake of making alcohol.

wait how is corn sweet If it doesnt have sugar ? Just wondering ill probably make a hard cider for my first brew so from now on its just curiosity.

Back