added priming sugar/foamed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CScruggs

Reaction score
This is my second batch that I have bottled or am bottling, it is a brown ale. I just added the 3/4 cups of corn sugar directly on the beer in my bottling bucket after racking from my fermenter. For some reason it foamed up really quick, my last batch didn't do this. It almost seems like the yeast just sucked up all of the sugar right when I poured it in. I am intent on bottling this, definately not going to throw it out, but is this normal or has anyone ever seen this?

next time just boil for a bit in water and cool before putting in the bucket

Exactly! the priming sugar should be boiled in 2 cups of water, added to the bottling bucket, and the beer racked into that. If you put the bottom of the tubing on the bottom of the bucket in a circular way, the beer will swirl and fill from the bottom, mxing up the priming sugar and beer.

As to way you got foaming, that's called "nucleation points". It happens whenever you add anything solid to a bubbly liquid.

When priming with honey how important is it to measure the "don't know the term" sugar concentration? And how would you compare it to cane sugar?

Back