3 Liter Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woollybugger2

Reaction score
I'm going to make a 3 liter starter for a wee heavy OG 1.088

Can I just make a 3 liter wort @ 1.040 and pitch one Wyeast smack pack directly or do I need to step up from a smaller volume....

Thanks!

If you're using a stirplate for the starter, I doubt you'll really need to step it up any. Either way, you may want to consider doing so just to ensure that your yeast are healthy and ready to go. I would personally start out with a 500ml starter and bump it up to the 3000ml you are looking for about 24 hours later. This will ensure proper yeast growth and will keep you within the 10x volume step ups needed for good, healthy yeast growth.

It's not about volume, it's about gravity. So as long as your gravity is around 1.030-1.040, you will get healthy growth. If you want to step it up, you'll need to decant the spent beer, then add more new wort. Unless you happen to have a 5000mL flask like me ;)

Unless you happen to have a 5000mL flask like me ;)
Mmm, ridiculously large Erlenmeyer flasks :)

bigstarter6.jpg

I start with 2 liters and step up as necessary. I've got a 4l batch for a lager whirling on the stirplate now.

-Joe

Back