2nd time using hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I made a new batch but added a little more to it from my previous one. Most notable, aside from using the usual 7lb of malt I also threw in 1lb of dextrose and 4oz of lactose. I took a sample of wort and dropped the temp to about 50 degrees F. Then I put in the hydrometer at got an OG reading of 1.114. Did the math and got a FG reading of 1.035. Then the final math steps for my ABV gave me 13.75%. Is that unheard of? Or could it be I'm not reading my hydrometer the right way?

1.114 is really high for beer.

Were you doing an extract kit or partial mash where you added water after the boil? More than likely, your wort wasn't mixed all the way, and that's why your measured OG was so high. If you post your exact recipe, we can give you a better idea of what your OG was.

On a similar note as AZ, was the reading prior to straining the wort of the hop particulates disintegrated from hop pellets? Did you also correct the hydrometer reading for temperature (since hydrometers are designed to give gravity readings at 59 degrees fahrenheit; in this case subtracting a relatively small amount of ~.001)?

It was a partial mash. Here's the recipe I got from the guys at the shop. The names of the grains that they wrote down are a little hard to read but I'll give it a shot.

Grains:
1.5lb 2-row
.5lb Victory
.25lb Cara-Munich
.5lb Cara-Pils
.25lb 20L (?)

Ingredients:
7lb malt extract
1lb dextrose
4oz lactose

Boiling hops:
1oz Galena

Finishing hops:
1oz Cascade

Yeast:
Safale US-04

If there is anything I'm missing that you need just let me know.

On a similar note as AZ, was the reading prior to straining the wort of the hop particulates disintegrated from hop pellets? Did you also correct the hydrometer reading for temperature (since hydrometers are designed to give gravity readings at 59 degrees fahrenheit; in this case subtracting a relatively small amount of ~.001)?

Yeah, I took the reading of my wort after I finished boiling and dropped the temp down. I have a wine cooler set for 50 degrees so I tossed my sample in there to get the temp down. I knew the reading was going to be slightly off since the hydrometer is calibrated for 6o degrees.

Latest posts

Back