2nd Batch Ever, White Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czar_roland

Reaction score
White, Blonde, Golden Stout. Be it a fad or whatever I like the idea of trying different styles of beers. I have yet to see any of these White Stouts around the Bryan/College Station area, so I figured I'd just brew one. I have read some folks disparaging the "style", but if we can have black india PALE ales, then why not a white stout?

So what am I looking for in this beer? Basically a Milk White Stout. A beer that is golden to hazy orange in color, creamy body, with sweetness, malt and coffee in the flavor profile. ABV should be stoutish, I'm thinking anywhere from 7-9%.

I know Austin Homebrew Supply had a White Stout around Christmas. I found what I think is the extract recipe looks like the ABV will be less than 5%. Not much of a stout. The recipe is below and I would love input. I'm wanting to add milk sugar for body and sweetness. But novice here so I have no idea how to modify recipes to increase the ABV and add other sugars like lactose.

***Recipe: Extract***

Steeping Grains

1 lb Crystal 40L Malt
1 1⁄4 lb Flaked Barley
1 1⁄4 lb Flaked Oats

Extract

1 lb Light DME
7 lb Extra Pale Extract

Hops

1 oz Galena
1 oz St Golding
8 oz Whole Coffee Beans

Yeast

Wyeast American Ale II 1272

Gravity

The original specific gravity should be approximately: 1.046
The final specific gravity should be approximately: 1.010
ABV: 4.7

Any input appreciated! :mug:

Many stouts are 5% and less but if you want to raise it a bit increase your malt extract. You could add sugar but it will dry it out( not a big deal just saying). Lactose can be added at the 10 min mark of the boil same with any sugar additions.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm with you on trying new things, as well as a stout being a bit stout (6% or more).

When you say white stout it brings to mind one made with plenty of wheat. It doesn't seem that's what you have in mind though.

I tried to make something of the opposite of this making a black as a moonless midnight using midnight wheat, but it still turned out roasty.

To me a stout is roasty, and I'm not sure you can achieve that without the color.

But I'm all ears if you think you can do it.

The tv show Brew Dogs had an episode last night where they were in Vegas and they made the most expensive beer and it was a Golden Stout. You can catch a re-run of it on Esquire channel or maybe catch it online. Seems like a good beer minus all the expensive additions they used.

Back