1st time Gelatin Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
Found a lot of info regarding gelatin but I have a few questions of my own that were not addressed online (I think?)

So I bought some gelatin, unflavored knox. added some cold water let it reydrate, then added hot water 160f and let it sit for about 15 minutes. I then dumped it into my primary that is sitting at 60f.

Questions

i dry hopped the primary 5 days ago will adding the gelatin cause the hop particles to sink (making my life easier?)

When I siphone this beer into the bottling bucket do I have to be conscious about not sucking up gelatin? What state will it be in after 3 days at 40f?

General feedback?

Thanks

Questions

i dry hopped the primary 5 days ago. #1 will adding the gelatin cause the hop particles to sink (making my life easier?)

#2 When I siphone this beer into the bottling bucket do I have to be conscious about not sucking up gelatin? #3 What state will it be in after 3 days at 40f?
s

1. Yes
2. Yes, it will be on the bottom, dont hit the bottom with your racking cane
3. Starting to clear, give it a week to clear up completely.

Took a quick peak today, beer was still murkey as hell, hasnt been long tho but its at a very cold temp

I find 2 days at 34* and my beer is clear after gelatin. About a week before I would call it brilliant or crystal clear. So give it time.

i dont add gelatin to a primary (and often not even a secondary). I take my secondary vessel and cold crash it for at least a day. THat alone will drop a great portion off stuff out. I then boil 2 cups o water. I cool 1 cup to room temp to let the gelatin proof, after the gelatin swells, i add the warm (boiled) water. Make sure you use sanitized water at this point. a lot of time is already invested, you dont want to add water that may contain bacteria. also , sanitze all equipment that comes in contact with this water/gelatin mix. after the warm water is added i add it to the bottom of a sanitized container, i then rack the COLD beer over the gelatin. If you've ever made jello you add cool water or juice to the gelatin mix. i keep this container just above freezing for another two days.

If gelatin doesnt clear it up in a week you may have issues other than suspended yeast. Did you use Whirlfloc in the kettle? How long/vigorous was your boil? Is this an all grain or extract batch?

gelatin willm usually work as long as it has not been overheated (boiled)
it works much better in my experince subsequent to an overnight cold crash, the cold temp assists it in doing its thing.
id say a week, give or take, provides reliable results. it may take longer on room temp beer (ive never used it on room temp beer, but just thinking it would be longer without the advantage of the cold assist)

Back