New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 10 Gallon Brewpot or 10 Gallon mash tun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
SwillyBilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 10 Gallon Brewpot or 10 Gallon mash tun?

I'm migrating from extract to all-grain and was wondering if it would be better to buy the 10 gallon brewpot or the 10 gallon cooler for a mash tun first. Any suggestions?

I currently brew outside on a cajun cooker with a five gallon pot. I don't have the money to buy the pot and the cooler right now.

Is there an advantage to buying one first vs. the other?

On Deck - Not sure yet...
Primary - Standard Bitter
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - Irish Red Ale
Past Brews - Brew #6 - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone,Brew #7 - North Coast Old Rasputin Clone, Brew #8 Half Wit / Half Wit Raspberry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 1128

How are you going to boil a full batch in the 10 gal pot if you don't have a way to mash enough grain for an all grain batch? I'd think a mash tun would come first, could always split the batch into 2, 5 gallon pots and have your brew helper run the hops on pot number 2 on the kitchen stove?

Next up: The Hops of Wrath (DIPA)
Primary: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Spring Amber Ale)
Secondary:
Bottle Conditioning: Spring '14 Kolsch, Swamp Monkey Belgian Golden Strong, Vienna Lager

Old 02-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
dbreienrk1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, if you get a ten gallon MT then you can look at it while you wait on buying a HLT tank. Or you can buy a 10 gallon brewpot and do BIAB. The BIAB will be pretty heavy though...

I'm being a little facetious, but it really depends on what your method of mashing is.

http://www.piedmontbrewingcompany.com/
http://koinz04.blogspot.com/

Primary - Nada
Secondary - Abandoned (for most brews)
Conditioning - Nada
Enjoying - Summit IPA, Cherry Belgian Dubbel, Otto von Bismarck Stout, Richmond Red Ale
Up Next - Belgian Tripel

Old 02-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
SwillyBilly
Recipes 

Well, good point but I only have one 5 gallon pot.

I've read about people mashing in the bottling bucket with a grain sack?

Or could I do partial mash in a 10 gallon cooler and still do partial boils until I get the bigger pot?

Secondary - Empty
Past Brews - Brew #6 - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone,Brew #7 - North Coast Old Rasputin Clone, Brew #8 Half Wit / Half Wit Raspberry

Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
SwillyBilly
Recipes 

What I want to have eventually is a gott cooler for a MLT. And a brew pot with a spigot and brewmometer.

Secondary - Empty

Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwillyBilly View Post
Well, good point but I only have one 5 gallon pot.

I've read about people mashing in the bottling bucket with a grain sack?

Or could I do partial mash in a 10 gallon cooler and still do partial boils until I get the bigger pot?
You can mash in bucket but I'd be afraid that 60 minutes at 152 F might impart a plastic taste to the wort. It might be just fine though, food grade plastics are not supposed to impart flavors to the food.

I'm in the same boat as you. I am not ready to start brewing outdoors on gas yet so I just won a second 5 gallon brew pot on ebay for $30 shipped last night. Going to stick with BIAB till I build my mash tun this spring and at that point I'll do split boils till I go gas and get a huge brewpot.

Secondary:
Bottle Conditioning: Spring '14 Kolsch, Swamp Monkey Belgian Golden Strong, Vienna Lager

Old 02-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
dbreienrk1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Then you can brew up to 5 gallons of wort at a time.

This "grain sack" method is also known as "Brew In A Bag" (BIAB). You can get a paint straining bag from Lowes and hold enough grain for a 1.065-1.075 brew before the bag will rip due to weight.

Partial mashing is defined as combining the extract brewing and all-grain brewing methods together. You use a little bit of sugars from both.

If I were you, I'd figure out what type of brew process I want to do. Build your system to suit your needs. So if you get a 10 gallon mashtun you are still limited by your smaller kettle. Do you have fermentation space for 10 gallons of beer?

http://www.piedmontbrewingcompany.com/
http://koinz04.blogspot.com/

Primary - Nada
Secondary - Abandoned (for most brews)
Conditioning - Nada
Enjoying - Summit IPA, Cherry Belgian Dubbel, Otto von Bismarck Stout, Richmond Red Ale
Up Next - Belgian Tripel

Old 02-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
SwillyBilly
Recipes 

No, I only have fermentation space for 5 gallon batches.

Secondary - Empty

Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
Rbeckett
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I'm witht the mash tun first crowd. You probably are going to do 5 gallon batches at first anyway. You will be able to mash in, and drain your sparge back into your 5 gallon Boil pot. A 5 gallon all grain batch should probably start with around 6.5 gallons and boil down to 5 Either way you might have to split your boils to get it through your current BK/HLT since that is a limiting factor. The mash tun build is pretty cheap and easy too, so you can get that done pretty quick and start saving for a bigger set of pots. I would love to have the polarware kettle with the sigh glass, stainless ball valve and thermometer, but alas I cannot afford 240 bucks for such a nice pot either. Good luck and I hope this encourages you to get busy and brew some.
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbreienrk1 View Post
If I were you, I'd figure out what type of brew process I want to do. Build your system to suit your needs. So if you get a 10 gallon mashtun you are still limited by your smaller kettle. Do you have fermentation space for 10 gallons of beer?
I figured he was looking into a 10 gallon pot so he could do full boils for 5 gallon batches. Remember you loose 1-2 gallons to trub/boil off so you would have to start off with 6.5 gallons or so.

Secondary:

Quick Reply