What IPA to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pksmitty

Reaction score
My LHBS carries Brewers Best kits. I've done the American Amber and Weizen kits so far, and have been happy.

My next brewday will be sometime this weekend. I want to make an IPA. Is the BB kit good, or should I go with a different recipe and just buy ingredients? If the kit is decent, are there any adjustments I should make to it?

I'm thinking around 1.06 OG, 55+ IBUs, maybe dryhop.....

I'm open to the possibility of stovetop PM, but extract with grains is also good.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I tried it and wasn't that impressed. Might be a good starting point, but I thought it needed more hops and some dry hopping. I'd find a recipe here and roll your own.

Aww man I just brewed and tasted for the 1st time, Austin Home Brew's Dreadnaught IPA clone. It was "hands down", the best beer I've ever brewed. Taste is fan-****ing-tastic. It tasted like a citruc hop explosion with a mango peachie kinda finish. It's around 95 IBU's though. You can order it from thier site, or I can post the recipe later since I'm at work now. Let me know. It's a simple recipe

I've done a couple of BB kits, and while they were fine for what they were, I wouldn't do the BB IPA. As another poster said, AHS has some fine IPA kits and I'm sure NorthernBrewer and Brewmaster's Warehouse do, also.

I'd recommend either buying a quality kit from a good online LHBS, a good local brewstore that crushes grain on the spot and gives you good recipes, or pick a recipe from our database and buy the ingredients individually.

American IPAs are my favorite beer. I'm really wild about citrusy hops, so most of my IPAs feature amarillo hops, cascade hops, or centennial hops.

If you can tell us which way your tastes lie (citrusy, piney, earthy, etc), then we can steer you toward a certain recipe or kit.

What commercial IPAs do you like?

I prefer the American IPAs as well. DFH 60 minute, Victory Hop Wallop. Citrusy, piney flavors.

I think I'd rather do something along those lines now, and then experiment with other flavors to see how they affect the beer.

The BB Imperial IPA is decent but I think it needs some tweaks. The 2 oz of Hops at the 60 min mark can be cut to 1 oz. Save that 1 oz for the dry hop, or buy an additional 1 oz of Columbus hops, and then do a 60, 40, 20, 2 min hop addition and use that extra 1 oz as a dry hop.

Look up TheJadedDog's recipe for All Amarillo IPA. I'm completely in love with it. I'll try to stop gushing now.

My LHBS carries Brewers Best kits. I've done the American Amber and Weizen kits so far, and have been happy.

My next brewday will be sometime this weekend. I want to make an IPA. Is the BB kit good, or should I go with a different recipe and just buy ingredients? If the kit is decent, are there any adjustments I should make to it?

I'm thinking around 1.06 OG, 55+ IBUs, maybe dryhop.....

I'm open to the possibility of stovetop PM, but extract with grains is also good.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

My favorite IPA kit is the clone kit of Dimondknot IPA...it's actually sanctioned by the Diamondknot Brewery:

http://store.homebrewheaven.com/shared/StoreFront/product_detail.asp?RowID=331&CS=hombre&All=

Aww man I just brewed and tasted for the 1st time, Austin Home Brew's Dreadnaught IPA clone. It was "hands down", the best beer I've ever brewed. Taste is fan-****ing-tastic. It tasted like a citruc hop explosion with a mango peachie kinda finish. It's around 95 IBU's though. You can order it from thier site, or I can post the recipe later since I'm at work now. Let me know. It's a simple recipe

I would love to see the Dreadnaught Clone clone recipe. My buddy brought a bottle back from Darklord Day and I fell in love.

Back