Old 04-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #41
tyzippers
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 404 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweed

I left windows open, and my temp in my apt was in the low 50's.
You sir, are dedicated! (And apparently not married!)

I just made a RIS not too long ago as an experiment and I used 099 to ferment. That yeast dried that beer right out to around 1.004!! My hydrometer broke on brew day, but im assuming the beer ended up around 12-14%. It still had a bit of perceived sweetness at the taste, but dried out as was expected. It certainly could have used some aging, but I was anxious, so I drank it. The real batch will be aged. I like the idea of adding vanilla, but I think this one was good to stand on its own!

Check me out on Untappd. Or don't. See if I care.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #42
tyzippers
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 404 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweed

Yup, maybe a quarter of a gallon of water. Boiled the dme, molasses, and also had some dextrose. I boiled it in a pot, cooled it, then added it to the primary after, I think 4-5 days. Basically once fermentation slowed down. This helped to kick it back up to get the gravity down. The tolerance of that American ale yeast is 11%, I think and this is at 13%, so I guess that trick works!?
I did the same with my molasses. Though I did not add any DME. I did add some oak chips for a few weeks in the secondary. I did not soak them. Right into the fermenter they went. I figured that with a beer that big. Infection was probably not a huge concern!

Check me out on Untappd. Or don't. See if I care.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #43
sweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyzippers View Post

You sir, are dedicated! (And apparently not married!)

I just made a RIS not too long ago as an experiment and I used 099 to ferment. That yeast dried that beer right out to around 1.004!! My hydrometer broke on brew day, but im assuming the beer ended up around 12-14%. It still had a bit of perceived sweetness at the taste, but dried out as was expected. It certainly could have used some aging, but I was anxious, so I drank it. The real batch will be aged. I like the idea of adding vanilla, but I think this one was good to stand on its own!
Not anymore! the ex did screw me over big time though, and it's finally over after my last hearing a few weeks ago.

I used wlp 099, on my first RIS, and that got down to 1.020, that one turned out great as well. Only 1 bottle left :/

Quick Reply