Should I try this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I bought a long time ago a Brewers Best Stout kit at a local shop. I've since then used the yeast packet from it and left the rest of the kit sit in the box.

I was thinking of brewing it up but instead of using whatever hops might still be in the box (wil toss em), go with 1oz of yakima hops and 1oz of cascade hops I have laying around...

Any issue with just tossing it in on top of the trub/yeast left from a previous brew?

I have an Octoberfest that will be done in a couple weeks..

Would that work?

not sure the citrus flavor of cascade goes with a Stout...but the main idea behind your plan is solid.

I would use the hops, they are probably fine. If you are worried about them, add on top of them, but don't waste them :(

Unless the hops are over 2 years old or they smell odd, they should be fine.

I've tasted a number of attempts at a Cascadian Dark Ale, and citrus does not go with stout.

What yeast did you use for the Oktoberfest?

I used European something or other in a tube (WLP0??) for the Octoberfest.

I realized after looking at it, it's a complete Stout kit.

I'm not really a stout drinker so I was considering breaking it down and using the stuff mixed with other items to make a couple other brews.

I think I got it when the idea of making something similar to Murphy's Irish Stout crossed my mind. After trying it at the store, I changed my mind.

Here is what I have to work with.

6.6 lbs LME (Muntons)
8oz Malto dextrin
12oz Crystal Malt 60
8oz (4oz Roasted Barley/ 4oz Black Patent)

1.25 oz (have to look again at the type) hops
1.5 oz (have to look again at the type) hops
.5 oz Yakima hops
1 oz Cascade Hops

small Yellow packet of dry yeast
Blue packet of dry yeast
large yellow packet of dry yeast

Thats what I have to work with at the moment. I might swing by the brew store and grab some lighter LME and make two lighter batches by using 3.3 dark and 3.3 light.

hmmmmm

If the steeping grains aren't all combined I would drop the dark stuff 8oz (4oz Roasted Barley/ 4oz Black Patent), use something high AA as a bittering hop and use the cascade at flameout. That should make a mild summer ale. Just my 2 cents.

The patent/barley is in a seperate sealed bag. I'll sit them off to the side for later use someday. The other steeping grain is also sealed in a bag.

I think I'll try the suggestion of a summer ale and see what happens.

thanks
jake

Latest posts

Back