Question from a noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theonlychrisj

Reaction score
I'm brewing from Munton's hopped Pilsner LME and planning on using blueberries for a secondary fermentation.

The primary fermentation is almost done. Maybe 1 or 2 days left.

I plan to rack the beer over the blueberries on Monday. My question is, should I discard the sludge at the bottom of the primary? Or include it with the blueberries??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The sludge is yeast part of the point of racking is to leave the yeast and trub behind. I strongly recommend sanitizing the blueberries to avoid infection.

Yes, what One said. Leave the trub, sanitize the berries.

I've heard of people freezing fruit before adding it but I don't have any direct experience with adding fruit.

Yes, what One said. Leave the trub, sanitize the berries.

I've heard of people freezing fruit before adding it but I don't have any direct experience with adding fruit.

My understanding was that freezing the fruit + the alcohol already present in the beer would kill any bugs left after freezing... Is this right?

I've never sanitized fruit, but I do freeze it. It helps break down the fruit's cell walls for better/faster extraction of flavors.

So that's all you personally do? Just freeze it and it's good to go?

Latest posts

Back