this puts a damper on my brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score
I was planning brewing sunday before the bills game. I got my Austin Homebrew Belgian trappist dubbel kit today, and it's missing 1oz Glacier hops :mad:

heres the recipe:

1/4 Lb. Special B
1 Lb. Cara Munich
1/2 Lb. Belgian Pale Ale Malt

1.5 Lb. Dark candi syrup
4 Lbs. Munich LME
4 Lbs. Extra Pale LME

1 oz. Vanguard @ 60

1/2 oz. saaz and 1 oz Glacier (missing) @ 15
1/2 oz Saaz @ 5

I could check my LHBS and buy them, but i'll be pretty pissed off if he doesnt and i have to wait for them to mail me the missing hops.

How would it taste without the glacier?

You could sub in something else there, as long as you're in the same general vein. BYO lists Glacier as being somewhat of a subsitute for Fuggles. I don't see it listed on their big chart BYO puts out (a good reference, available here), I think Glacier is a newer variety.

Personally, I'd go with anything that's kind of classic to Belgian styles, or any kind of noble hop. More Saaz would be fine. It won't be exactly the same, but it should be good. Then, complain to AHS; that's $4 - $5 of hops they left out!

EDIT: Here's some more info.

Possible Substitutions Willamette, US Fuggle, US Tettnang, Styrian Golding

Thanks, i did send them off an email. Im sure they will send me the hops, but i wont get them in time for when I want to brew.

There was a thread about shipping problems at AHS recently that was closed because the issues were supposedly resolved - I guess that was not the case after all.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/whats-deal-austin-homebrew-supply-78086/index3.html

So far I have had nothing but great experiences with AHS and have spent something like $430 with them this year, but the fact that several people have complained about this now makes me more likely to consider other ingredient sources until they get their issues resolved.

yup, they forgot to put my thermometer in my order from last week. I broke my first and re-ordered it. Since they forgot it I had to go spend another $7 on one from Walmart.

Also forgot my Hops and Lactose which completely ruined my brew day causing me to have to re-oder my grains because I didn't realize it till after my 1 hour mash.

I've spent several hundred dollars with them and I believe my search for a new retailer is about to begin.

So uh, would it lack in taste of the glaciers hops were not put in at all?

I haven't used Glacier hops myself, but I would think you'd end up with an unbalanced beer -1 oz is a pretty significant flavor addition.

I was planning brewing sunday before the bills game.

you're suposed to brew on saturday and go to the game on sunday, that's what i did.

on topic: why not purchase your supplies from niagara traditions, they're local and great to shop with. granted they're not open on sunday's and that wouldn't have helped you in a pinch before the game, but you could have hand picked your ingredients on saturday and known you were okay.

off topic: go bills!

Okay.

I'm sitting here wondering why I can't understand all the kerfuffle. And then it hits me: What kind of Dubbel has late hops in it? Oh, that's right! None.

Dubbel should get spicy clove, pepper and phenolic perfume notes from the yeast and roasty, toasty dark-fruit aromas from the specialty grains.

Think about it. None of the benchmark Dubbels - Westmalle, Corsendonk, La Trappe, Chimay - have late hops additions.

As I've written in other threads, if you like the style with late hops, do what you like. But it's not necessary to scrap your brewday; the ingredient you're missing isn't necessary to make excellent Dubbel. You could remove all but the Vanguard from the recipe as written and you'd have a fine beer. In fact, that's what I'm advising you to do.

Relax, brew the beer and wait for AHS to ship you hops you can use in something else.

Cheers,

Bob

Okay.

I'm sitting here wondering why I can't understand all the kerfuffle. And then it hits me: What kind of Dubbel has late hops in it? Oh, that's right! None.

Dubbel should get spicy clove, pepper and phenolic perfume notes from the yeast and roasty, toasty dark-fruit aromas from the specialty grains.

Think about it. None of the benchmark Dubbels - Westmalle, Corsendonk, La Trappe, Chimay - have late hops additions.

As I've written in other threads, if you like the style with late hops, do what you like. But it's not necessary to scrap your brewday; the ingredient you're missing isn't necessary to make excellent Dubbel. You could remove all but the Vanguard from the recipe as written and you'd have a fine beer. In fact, that's what I'm advising you to do.

Relax, brew the beer and wait for AHS to ship you hops you can use in something else.

Cheers,

Bob
I've never brewed this style before so thanks for the ideas about the hops

+1 for niagara traditions I've been there a couple of times and its a great store! Well stocked good prices. I try and stop in every time I'm in tonawanda now.

I've never brewed this style before so thanks for the ideas about the hops

Glad to help. I hate to see people sweating details that really don't matter.

It's always a good idea to read up on the style before brewing it, as well as drink some of the commercial benchmark examples. That way you know if you're on to something or if you should just leave it alone. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Back