Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > NB Phat Tyre Extract w/ New Belgium Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #31
chase
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah. I think it will be good. When I sampled my gravity reading, it only had a very slight biscuity flavor. Otherwise it tasted like a good-ole wholesome amber ale.

1º #1: RIS
1º #2: -
2º #1: Flanders Red (2009)
2º #2: Lambic (2009)
2º #3: Flanders Red (2010)
2º #4: Lambic (2010)
2º #5: Old Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #32
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, mine is lacking in the biscuit flavor. Its not noticeable at all.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 01-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #33
worxman02
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I hope mine has that biscuit flavor in it. Thats what makes it a Fat Tire. Shouldn't the biscuit flavor be down to the specialty grains and not the yeast? I could be wrong on that however, otherwise what would be so special about the Fat Tire yeast?

Old 01-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #34
jvh261

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yooper's recipe called for 3 oz. Biscuit malt.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=27648

The info at northern brewer doesn't show any. I'd think that'd account for the lack of a biscuit flavor.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #35
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

AHBS kit came with 3oz biscuit in the grain bill. Next time i brew it (soon) i'm going to use a different recipe

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 01-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #36
jelsas
Recipes 

I just got this kit from NB for christmas (thanks sister-in-law!) and the hops included are Hallertau + Liberty instead of Summit listed in the NB inventory online or Fuggles + Willamette listed in some of the clones I've seen online. Is this the hop shortage taking its toll? any idea how far off the mark the the Hallertau kit will be?

Old 01-09-2008, 01:38 AM   #37
Scotty_g
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

We looked at the NB Phat Tyre extract kit but because it seemed to be missing some of the malts (particularly the aforementioned biscuit), we passed on it. I found two other recipes for Fat Tire, one in BYO and one in Beer Captured (?), and those were similar enough that we chose one of them. I forget the exact malt loadout, but it did use biscuit.

We got the Fat Tire yeast from NB, though, and it fermented really clear and made a nice thick cake. The final product is carbonating right now, and I have a 12-er of actual Fat Tire imported from Texas to compare it with. There will be a wonderful Friday night coming up...

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 01-09-2008, 02:48 AM   #38
chase

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

jelsas, I would recommend running those hops through BeerSmith and determine if the IBUs workout for the style. My kit used the Summit hops, and with the amount they provided (0.5oz I think) the IBUs come out really low. Just something to consider.

And yes, I would imagine that the hop shortage could be to blame. NB did just announce though, that they are starting to get in the 2007 hop crop, and it will be available soon.

1º #1: RIS
1º #2: -
2º #1: Flanders Red (2009)
2º #2: Lambic (2009)
2º #3: Flanders Red (2010)
2º #4: Lambic (2010)
2º #5: Old Ale

Old 01-09-2008, 04:06 AM   #39
Scotty_g
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Follow-up: our recipe

I just checked my paperwork after returning from a couch-moving party. We did use the recipe from the Szamatulski's Beer Captured (a fine tome) with the Wyeast Fat Tire smack pack.

It calls for 8 oz crystal 80, 6 oz Munich, 4 oz Victory, and 3 oz Biscuit; 1/3 oz Yakima Magnum, 1/2 Hallertau Hersbrucker (we subbed in a mix of Hallertauer and Hersbrucker), and 1/4 Willamette. In comparison, the NB kit uses 8 oz crystal 60 and 8 oz of Victory; 1/2 oz of Summit.

I knew the flavor profile for the real Fat Tire was more complex, so we used the book's recipe. The dregs from the primary were nondescript, sludgy, and really green...but I look forward to the final results.

To hear that the Fat Tire yeast is now history makes me sad, but also glad we saved 2/3 of the starter. It took off nicely, seemed to ferment pretty quickly, and like I said left a really clear beer--now if the beer tastes good, we'll have to find something else to use the yeast in.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 01-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #40
jvh261

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think I'm going to wash the yeast once I get it out of primary (Its still fermenting!) and save it and try to come up with some kind of brown ale to use it in.

Quick Reply