NB Dead Ringer: very dark in color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncorroy

Reaction score
I am in the process of brewing the Dead Ringer extract kit from NB, which is a clone of 2 hearted. I recently transferred to secondary after a 2 week primary. The color of the beer is extremely dark, looks almost black in the glass carboy. I'm sure it will look a bit lighter when it's in a glass, but I sure wasn't expecting this dark of color consider 2 hearted is pretty light. Did I do something wrong, maybe burned the malt syrup or something?

When did you add the extract to the boil? Also I'm wanting to try that same kit next let us know how it turns out.

In general extract beer kits, particularly those with LME will always be darker than the commercial example and this is due to the production of the extract as well as something called a maillard reaction during the boil.

Some of this can be controlled by doing what is called a late extract addition. 1/2 the extract goes in the boil at the beginning and the rest goes in at flame out. In both cases the kettle should be removed from the heat source while being added to prevent scorching.

I added the extract at the beginning of the 60-min boil, per the instructions of the kit. I'm sure it will turn out okay, just curious if others had this experience. If I do this kit again I would try a late addition. Aside from color, what impacts would a late addition of extract have on the final product?

Theoretically it might lower the amount of the maillard reaction you get during the boil, but it would probably not be noticeable. I wouldn't sweat the color too much. It's just a side effect of using extract, especially LME. The other work-around is to use lighter colored extract and crystal malts, etc., but that also changes the flavor profile.

I just bottled my Dead Ringer extract a bit over a week ago and we were shocked at how dark it was. It looked like a brown ale. As long as it tastes good though!

I am bottling mine this weekend after dry hopping last weekend...it is darker than one would expect, but it smells heavenly.

Yeah I noticed this as well and I don't believe it is how I boiled it because I did a late LME addition and my cream ale turned out very light in color so I do not think it is my boiling. I believe this IPA is just a little on the darker side.

yeah, mine was just bottled friday and it was the same color as caribou slobber. it smelled amazing though. has anyone tasted their dark dead ringer? was it awesome?

Here's mine - it is quite dark, and this is AG. I imagine an extract recipe would be a little darker still.

image-1922688703.jpg

yeah, mine was just bottled friday and it was the same color as caribou slobber. it smelled amazing though. has anyone tasted their dark dead ringer? was it awesome?

Haven't had it (or the real Two Hearted for that matter), but it's an all-Centennial hopped IPA, so I can't see how it could possibly be bad.

As for the OP's color issue, use the late extract method next time. You'll see a dramatic improvement in color when you do.

Back