The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > My first batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 02:28 AM   #11
Born Brewing Co.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think twist off bottles would present a problem, JMO. I've only used non twist off bottles. Just keep the bottles in cases of 24, I keep mine in the basment. You'll be ok with temps around 70 degrees. Corona bottles are fine, keep them in the DARK. Clear or Green + light = SKUNK

I can get a new case of 12oz. amber bottles at the HBS for $10. I bought 4 cases that should last "nearly forever". I keep reusing them. It's crazy, but when I go to parties I bring all my empty bottles home. My friends are on a rinse, return, refill policy.

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #12
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFratGuy
All I have for a secondary fermenter is a five gal food grade plastic bucket with a sealing lid. I've already punched a hole in the top of it for an airlock, but I think that was unnessissary.
Will a plastic bucket work for secondary? Yes. It is recommended? NO.

Plastic works great for a primary because of the volume of CO2 being produced during fermentation. Once that is done, though, the beer will produce very little CO2. Also remember that plastic is permeable to air. Add all that up - large surface area inside the bucket, an air-permeable container and very little CO2 being produced to protect the beer - and you'll see why glass is preferred for secondary. A glass carboy for secondary will virtually eliminate any spoilage due to exposure to oxygen during conditioning.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:47 PM   #13
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
Plastic or not plastic for the primary fermenter really doesn't matter one bit. I've never had the need to take anything but a soft cloth and some oxyclean to the inside of my plastic fermenter, so I'm not causing any scratches - and it's those scratches that could harbor your so-called nasties. The only advantage of the glass carboy for primary is being able to see the fermentation taking place.
matter of preference and sanitation. more value than to just "see the fermentation taking place".

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 08-16-2005, 03:53 PM   #14
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I second the recommendation for glass over plastic for a secondary. I'd also recommend pop-tops over twist-offs.

That said, I accidentally filled and capped a screw-top that got mixed in with all my pop-tops (I have a rinse, return, refill policy, too, and somehow one slipped in). It turned out just fine. But it stands to reason that they might not seal as well, so why take the chance?

Old 08-16-2005, 05:21 PM   #15
TheFratGuy
Recipes 

Default thanks again

This is all very helpful information. And as soon as I get my check cut from the school I'll make an investment in a couple of glass carboys. However I do have a batch of Cincinnati Pale Ale that has been in the primary for 5 days. I'm thinking of racking it to a plastic bucket. Should I just forget about it and leave it in the primary for the duration of 2 weeks? Or is it worth my while to rack it into a plastic bucket since I don't have a glass carboy yet?

Thanks again,

Old 08-16-2005, 05:48 PM   #16
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFratGuy
... I'm thinking of racking it to a plastic bucket. Should I just forget about it and leave it in the primary for the duration of 2 weeks? ...
As long as the plastic fermenter is in decent shape, I'd vote for racking into it. IMO, getting the beer of the trub helps to eliminate off-flavors and just makes for a clearer, better tasting beer.

Also, I've been prowling yard sales in the hope of finding glass carboys on the cheap.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:02 PM   #17
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You don't have to rack to a secondary. You could just go ahead and bottle it if it is done in the primary.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:16 PM   #18
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Would he really want to bottle after just five days?

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 08-16-2005, 06:39 PM   #19
TheFratGuy
Recipes 

Well,

I'm not planning on bottling atleast until Aug 27th. Maybe even later than that depending on how badly I want to try the brew and how busy I am with school. Though, can someone tell me how to syphon without disturbing the trub?

I was planning on sitting my fermentor on the kitchen table and submerging the the tubing in it. Then I was going to submerge 2-3 feet of the tubing in some sanitized water, to start the syphon. Then dump the water into a bowl and shift the hose over to the 2nd bucket after the brew starts coming out. I'm going to have a friend help so that there are no lose ends. Does anyone have and suggestions to minimize disturbance and aeration?

Thanks

Old 08-16-2005, 06:40 PM   #20
Somerville

Recipes 

Leave it for some more days then bottle it...no longer or else the yeast will start to eat eachother creating off flavors...i think? yeah Im pretty sure...

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1
Dusseldorf Style Altbier #1

Quick Reply